PDA

View Full Version : Curtain Call in The Galapagos

Bob Miller
01-07-2012, 08:23 PM
I took this in the Galapagos from a zodiac boat after the sun had already set leaving the sky a blaze of color. Does the water look Ok?
Nikon D3s
1/500 sec at f6.3
iSO 3200 HH
70-200mm

Don Railton
01-08-2012, 03:16 AM
Hi Bob

Understand your concerns about the water, its colour does look a bit flat (ish) and the foam is not really white as i would expect. So, again I took the liberty of playing around with someones elses image (mainly to satisfy myself) and came up with this, hope you don't mind... Does the water now look closer to what you saw ? I think lifting the water colour balances the image against the bright sky a lot better also.

What I did was to create a selective colour layer with no masking and selecting Cyan, I backed out the cyan by 19 points and the black all the way to lighten the foam and lift the water colour. I also considerd lifting the shadows on the rock but realised that it took the eye away from the seal (not what you want I guess) so promptly removed that change.

DON

Don Railton
01-08-2012, 03:47 AM
Hi Bob

Understand your concerns about the water, its colour does look a bit flat (ish) and the foam is not really white as i would expect. So, again I took the liberty of playing around with someones elses image (mainly to satisfy myself) and came up with this, hope you don't mind... Does the water now look closer to what you saw ? I think lifting the water colour balances the image against the bright sky a lot better also.

What I did was to create a selective colour layer with no masking and selecting Cyan, I backed out the cyan by 19 points and the black all the way to lighten the foam and lift the water colour. I also considerd lifting the shadows on the rock but realised that it took the eye away from the seal (not what you want I guess) so promptly removed that change.

DON

Bob Miller
01-08-2012, 01:28 PM
Thanks Don!....Your work with the water does look better balanced to me....I will make the changes as noted.

Jerry van Dijk
01-08-2012, 02:01 PM
Great image, Bob, very well done! Those colors in the sky are awesome and the seal is just in the right spot looking the right way. Didn't mind the water as it was, but Dons work looks good too. I would run a little NR on the sky and remove the dust spot just above the steep part of the hill on the right.

Rachel Hollander
01-08-2012, 04:35 PM
Bob - great comp and good suggestions above. I know how hard it can be shooting from the panga and you did very well.

TFS,
Rachel

Brendan Dozier
01-08-2012, 11:44 PM
This is a wonderful composition, Bob, love seal silohuoette against the rich sky colors. Well done, and repost makes it even stronger.

Morkel Erasmus
01-09-2012, 05:15 PM
Super mood in this one Bob! I like Don's repost, but also feel that the FG and seal could stand a hint more sharpening? WDYT?

Andrew McLachlan
01-09-2012, 08:42 PM
Hi Bob, a wonderful capture for sure. I like what Don did to the water and agree with Morkel on a little more sharpening on the specified areas. Nice capture!

Robert Amoruso
01-10-2012, 01:25 PM
I agree with the above, like Don's work on the water and third the sharpening suggestion.

Bob Miller
01-10-2012, 08:07 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. I really liked this image....... and the forum has helped make me like it even more! Thanks again!

Matt Fragale
01-18-2012, 08:29 PM
When I take a photo this great, I will put down my camera because that will be the best I can do. Really great!