PDA

View Full Version : first avian post -- sort of

Dennis Bishop
01-07-2012, 02:06 PM
It seems like forever since I've posted a new image. We were gone several weeks during the holidays -- part of the time with family in Connecticut. Their house was built in 1939, and one of the two bathrooms has a wonderful Art Nouveau style shower door. I'm not sure I'd be permitted to post the etching on the glass, although a shot with water on it from inside the shower would be a knockout. I really liked the swans at the top of the door, anyway. And I liked the floor. So I decided to composite them.

shower door -- ISO 200, 0.6 sec, f/8, zoom lens at 26mm
tile floor -- ISO 200, 0.6 sec, f/5.6, zoom lens at 28mm

transform and lens filter work in Photoshop to reduce -- but, unfortunately, not entirely eliminate -- distortion of door
heal away reflections of me, the camera, and tripod in the rail below the swans
expand canvas and add floor
add water -- 50% gray layer, screen blend mode, noise, motion blur, Gaussian blur, masking (The real water was on full blast but only added steam inside the shower.)
Topaz Simplify -- preset based on BuzSim
Nik Color Efex -- Tonal Contrast and Darken/Lighten Center
dodge and burn to even out lighting on the floor
desaturate (digital tarnish removal) the door frame
levels
curves except door frame
hue/saturation adjustment layer -- increase yellow saturation, reduce green saturation
yellow photo filter adjustment layer -- masked off of door frame
blue photo filter adjustment layer -- only on door frame
gradient vignette -- both sides and top
burn vignette -- all edges

I'm sure glad I like doing post-processing . . .

(The image I see in Preview Post is darker than the Photoshop version.)

Indranil Sircar
01-07-2012, 03:51 PM
Dennis, this is a very different from your other compositions. I like your OOTB thinking... your carefully chosen perspective in the Art Nouveau style is just outstanding as is your processing. TFS.

Paul Lagasi
01-07-2012, 04:00 PM
I like the results, nice PP...:tinysmile_shy_t:..well done Denis, I may have cloned out the shower head.

denise ippolito
01-08-2012, 11:01 AM
Dennis, I really like your OOTB thinking for this one too. It feels a little cut-off on the bottom. The floor is great. Nice job!:S3: