PDA

View Full Version : Sunrise on the River

Lance Peters
04-08-2008, 05:28 AM
Straight out of the camera.
D200
AV Mode
18-200 VR Lens

Shutter speed and aperture - not recorded.

It was a beautiful morning.

Lanc

Gus Cobos
04-08-2008, 07:59 AM
Hi Lance,
This one just does not do it for me...:confused: Would recommend to crop the bottom and get rid of the distracting thick branches anf log coming out of your nice water. In addition would crop from the top just short of your tree branches to bring your image closer in.
Your captured this image with the Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5 - f/5.6 VR, why are you getting black diagonals on all four corners of your frame?:confused: Did you use a filter to cut the corners,or perhaps some type of lens hood that did this???

Roman Kurywczak
04-08-2008, 09:42 AM
Hi Lance,
It sure did look like a lovely morning. When you say straight out of camera........Raw/not processed or jpeg not processed??? Gus in correct in that you have vignetting in the corners from either the lens hooed or a filter. This usually happens with small (P series) filters (even skylight) or the lens shade at very wide MM setting (@ 24mm of less). I actually like the light play in between the branches. Pop a little more drama into the sky with levels and USM contrast boost.........and try to get a little more separation in the water among the branches. Moving a bit to the right would have separated the tree reflection from the branch coming into the water. Only crop for me would be the 1/2 tree sticking out the right. Very nice morning....and with a little work....you might even hang it on the wall,
Roman

Robert Amoruso
04-08-2008, 12:21 PM
With more separation and arrangement in the water of the branch reflections, this can be made into a powerful image. The water reflections are a bit overwhelming in this image. The idea is great as is the light ands since this is local for you, you have lots of opportunities to work with it.

Lance Peters
04-08-2008, 04:03 PM
Hi Roman - thanks for the feedback - my photoshop skills are tsill in the developmental stages :).

How would I go about getting a little more seperation in the water? Sorry if its a dumb question - I really have to spend more time with P.S..

Thanks

lance

Harold Davis
04-08-2008, 04:13 PM
18mm, f/3.5, 1/6s, 0EV. that's the exif data for lances' image. i have this same lens and have not run into the vignetting problem like this, but then again i dont use the lens hood. i have used it for scenes like this and did not think it was needed considering the low light and sun angle. am i right in assuming this? lance, i like the colors in this. looks like that area has lots of potential. cant wait to see what you come up with!

Lance Peters
04-09-2008, 12:41 AM
Will have a go at doing some corrections to this image and repost when I get a chance.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions

lance