PDA

View Full Version : Glacier National Park

Rachel Hollander
01-05-2012, 09:26 PM
Another image I have revisited from my 2010 trip to Glacier National Park. Just after dawn in the Many Glacier area of the park.

Canon 50D
16-35 @ 18mm
1/1000
f2.8 (whoops)
ISO 400
CPL
HH from a balcony, levels, s/h, LCE, cropped and sharpened in CS5.

C&C welcome and appreciated. Thanks,

Rachel

Don Railton
01-05-2012, 11:33 PM
Hi Rachel

Very Majestic scene. I especially like the clouds over the large peak, they are very dramatic and I might expect a UFO to pop through those at any second...I don't think the F2.8 has done too much damage other than it is probably not the sweet spot for best lens IQ. I would have chosen a lower ISO setting as well. Have you played with a selective colour layer? Selecting white and have a play with the sliders might help with bringing out a little more detail in the cloud, espc the large 'dramatic' one that is a little more grey than the others..

Thanks for showing

DON

dankearl
01-06-2012, 12:32 AM
Very Dramatic Rachel.
The clouds look fine to me, I think handheld gave you not quite the focus you needed, the LH trees and peaks
look a bit blurry.
A nice composition though, your eye is drawn to the big peak.

Don Railton
01-07-2012, 07:17 AM
Hi Rachel

Did not have time to do this the other day but this is what I was thinking WRT the cloud. Don't think its a huge improvement but I thought I would show you anyway...All I did was to select the greyish cloud and in selective colour with the 'whites' selected back out the black...Then created another layer and added 3 points to the 'neutral'. Hope you dont mind me fiddeling with your images but I wanted to see if what I thought would work with the cloud would work in practice...

DON

Rachel Hollander
01-07-2012, 07:57 AM
Thanks Don and Dan. Don, thanks for the repost and the explanation of what you did. I'll play around a bit.

Rachel

Bob Miller
01-07-2012, 07:41 PM
HI Rachel....this is a fine image that is nice and sharp where it needs to be. Often for scenes like this you don't need f16 because everything is pretty far away to start with but perhaps a f8 might have been closer to the sweet spot of the lense. I like what Don did to the whites.....Nice work!

Robert Amoruso
01-10-2012, 01:33 PM
I like the framing of these decidedly geometric peaks. I would have included a bit more on the right to include a bit more the the BG peak to strengthen its balancing affect for the middle ground large peak.

Clouds are very cool looking to. Overall, the image lacks sharpness.

Jay Gould
01-11-2012, 04:31 AM
Hi, definitely agree with Robert; also, I would like to see a bit more contrast. For me, it is a bit flat.

Morkel Erasmus
01-23-2012, 04:27 PM
I agree with Robert's assessment here, Rachel...:e3
It does look like a lovely place to visit, wish I could go one day...