PDA

View Full Version : Sunset on Half Dome

Leroy Laverman
04-08-2008, 02:21 AM
This one was taken in early March 2007 from Ahwahnee meadow. I darkened the sky in post to simulate an orange filter.

Technical Bits
Nikon D80
Nikon 24-85mm 1:3.5-4.5 AFS with CP filter (FL = 72mm for this shot)
ISO 100 f/8.0 0.8sec
matrix metering, worked up in Lightroom/Photoshop

Maxis Gamez
04-08-2008, 05:22 AM
HI Leroy,

This one looks not as black & white as I was hoping so, but if that was your intention then is OK. Love the composition and details on this one. I would apply a little more sharpening.

Roman Kurywczak
04-08-2008, 08:59 AM
Hi Leroy,
I've always been torn about the shadow in the image of Half Dome. While in the color versions I tend to not like it..........here I find it much more pleasing/dramatic. If I could ask.....why only f8?........if it's on a tripod anyway and you wanted all in focus.........IMO go with f22. Overall, I like your close comp and B&W technique.
Roman

Leroy Laverman
04-08-2008, 09:56 AM
This one looks not as black & white as I was hoping so, but if that was your intention then is OK.
Are you referring to the warm gray or the overall contrast? I used one of the quadtones that come as presets in Photoshop to get the warm gray look. I pulled the blacks up some to keep the detail in the shadow visible. Looking at this again this morning I see it does look a little soft. I didn't resharpen after the resize for web display and I probably should have.

Hi Leroy,
If I could ask.....why only f8?........if it's on a tripod anyway and you wanted all in focus.........IMO go with f22.
I choose f/8 as I believed this would give me a sharp image without any softening from diffraction. Since there were no foreground elements to keep in focus I thought it was the better choice. I get to visit Yosemite every March so I'll get a chance to repeat this (weather permitting of course). I give a smaller aperture a try. Thanks for the suggestions.

Robert Amoruso
04-08-2008, 12:18 PM
Leroy,

Without any FG elements, f/8 should be OK. I would also do one closed down more as insurance. I like how the shadow matches the height of the lower peak on the right. It flows well through the image. The tone does not bother me. I can't recall but I used a B&W printing paper that looked warm like this.

Roman Kurywczak
04-08-2008, 12:24 PM
You know.....Robert brought up a very good point and worth repeating.......In the film days...........I would never dream of taking just 1 image of a scene...........I would bracket for exposure......you know........the no histogram thing. Now I find myself bracketing not nearly as much for exposure.........but for DOF........can decide which I like best when I get home....but since it probably took me more time to set up than actually take the picture.........why not???.......at least now it's free!
Roman

Leroy Laverman
04-08-2008, 01:14 PM
For these shots I took them all in groups of three (0/+/- 1 eV) but I didn't think to bracket f/number as well. Next year...

Gerald_Gilligan
04-08-2008, 10:43 PM
aaaahhhh,
The many moods of Half Dome, I really like this image and have not seen any like it.
The lighting draws the eye upward...
Jerry

Jeffrey Sipress
04-08-2008, 10:45 PM
Classic! Like in film!