PDA

View Full Version : Color version of Along The Beach

Don Lacy
01-05-2012, 02:09 PM
Here is the color and un cropped version of my previous post.

EzhilSuresh
01-05-2012, 03:10 PM
Don,
The black and white had some sort of calm feeling to it. Sorry I much prefer your original post.

Don Lacy
01-05-2012, 03:18 PM
Don,
The black and white had some sort of calm feeling to it. Sorry I much prefer your original post.
Nothing to feel sorry about I prefer the BW version also :S3:

Morkel Erasmus
01-05-2012, 05:22 PM
I loved the B&W, Don, but I feel this one has lots of merit too. The colours are really cool, especially the sky! :Whoa!:

Rachel Hollander
01-05-2012, 09:35 PM
I like both too and feel the moss/algae covered rock at the center adds to the color version as do the colors of the sky.

TFS,
Rachel

Don Railton
01-05-2012, 11:40 PM
Hi Don

I prefer this to the B&W... I see a lot more in the sky and the clouds in this and IMHO this makes this a lot more interesting photo. Having said that I do love them both, they are beautifully composed & captured. Each to their own I guess...

DON

dankearl
01-06-2012, 12:37 AM
I like the water a lot, the clouds look unreal, the photo looks like two different photos put together.

Don Lacy
01-06-2012, 11:03 AM
I like the water a lot, the clouds look unreal, the photo looks like two different photos put together.
Straight image shot with a 2 stop grad at the time of captured and I used the grad filter in ACR to further work on the sky

Dennis Bishop
01-06-2012, 01:35 PM
While I think the original image is spectacular, the b&w version is even better in my opinion. I actually hadn't seen the previous post because we were away from home during the holidays. There were many diversions and limited internet access, so I was out of touch for a couple weeks. When I looked at the color version, my immediate reaction was that the composition would be better if some were cropped from the top. I wasn't sure how you'd feel about losing some of that wonderful sky, but -- sure enough -- you did it in the original post. That's only one reason why I prefer that one, but I think they're both very good.

Jerry van Dijk
01-07-2012, 04:08 PM
Hi Don, the sky is very spectacular in color, but contrasts a bit to much with the somewhat washed out colors of the FG (result of the 2 stop grad I presume). Agree with than that it looks like 2 pictures merged together. The B/W version does not have this problem, and hence is my preferred version. Wonderful composition of what seems like an exciting day on the beach!

Bob Miller
01-07-2012, 07:51 PM
Don.....Don't you just love time exposures of water and rocks....This image is superb....I didn't see the B&W so I can't compare but I love the sense of time captured here. I might crop some from the top.

Morkel Erasmus
01-09-2012, 08:06 AM

Hi Don, the sky is very spectacular in color, but contrasts a bit to much with the somewhat washed out colors of the FG (result of the 2 stop grad I presume). Agree with than that it looks like 2 pictures merged together. The B/W version does not have this problem, and hence is my preferred version. Wonderful composition of what seems like an exciting day on the beach!

I think what Dan and Jerry are referring to is in fact the result of the filter. Having returned to the image now I see it too...and would tone down the water if it were mine, or punch up the levels of the sky a tad. If your aim was to present something as "realistic as possible" then your reflective surface can never be brighter than what it was reflecting. :w3

However, the presentation in the end is up to you, the artist.

Don Lacy
01-09-2012, 01:39 PM
I think what Dan and Jerry are referring to is in fact the result of the filter. Having returned to the image now I see it too...and would tone down the water if it were mine, or punch up the levels of the sky a tad. If your aim was to present something as "realistic as possible" then your reflective surface can never be brighter than what it was reflecting. :w3

However, the presentation in the end is up to you, the artist.
Here it is with the mids pulled down on the water I might of went to far on darkening the sky:S3:

Morkel Erasmus
01-09-2012, 05:44 PM
It looks better to my eyes now Don. I went a bit further in this repost by burning highlights on the water and dodging midtones in the sky...subtle change and you'll probably have to pull them into PS to see significant differences... (and noticed there's a dust bunny top left, didn't clone it out :w3)