PDA

View Full Version : Hyena in Gold..

v.p.nurdeen
01-05-2012, 04:13 AM
I was lucky to get this Spotted Hyena against the rising sun light in Amboseli Tanzania in May 2011.
VPN
Camera: Nikon D300
Lens: Nikon 200-400 f4
Aperture: f/4
Shutters: 1/320
Speed: ISO 800

Tom Graham
01-05-2012, 12:34 PM
Love back-lit shots like this one.
Tom

Steve Kaluski
01-05-2012, 01:56 PM
Hi VPN, a very 'vibrant' image.

It does look a little noisy, partly in the BKG and on the body of the Hyena which surprises me as you use Nikon, plus the clarity & sharpness isn't quite there for me when compared to your previous postings. Did you lighten the Hyena at all, if so which parts?

Can comment much more as I am away and viewing on the laptop.

TFS
Steve

Gregor Bergquist
01-05-2012, 02:31 PM
I really like the posé and the backlit light. Nice one. Agree that it is missing some sharpness. I am also a little doubtful to the color temperature.

/Gregor

Tom Graham
01-05-2012, 04:53 PM
color temperature - always subjective with early/late sun. It should be very warm, I would not correct it to mid-day balance.
noise - think I've seen this before with VPN images?? Noise seems to be some sort of jpg artifact?? Strange geometric/line patterns. Coming from PP?? Here is crop of it -
Better, download original and zoom in and see better for yourself.

Tom

Morkel Erasmus
01-05-2012, 05:07 PM
I love the light here VP...but as mentioned the image is quite 'grainy'/noisy for a D300 @ ISO-800...did you crop much or lighten the shadows much?? :Whoa!:

Rachel Hollander
01-05-2012, 08:39 PM
VPN - nice pose, comp and backlight but agree that it seems too warm and this is not as sharp as your previous posts. Also the grain/noise is a problem.

TFS,
Rachel

v.p.nurdeen
01-05-2012, 10:05 PM
Hi VPN, a very 'vibrant' image.

It does look a little noisy, partly in the BKG and on the body of the Hyena which surprises me as you use Nikon, plus the clarity & sharpness isn't quite there for me when compared to your previous postings. Did you lighten the Hyena at all, if so which parts?

Can comment much more as I am away and viewing on the laptop.

TFS
Steve

Hi Steve,
I did not lighten the Hyena
VPN

v.p.nurdeen
01-05-2012, 10:09 PM
I love the light here VP...but as mentioned the image is quite 'grainy'/noisy for a D300 @ ISO-800...did you crop much or lighten the shadows much?? :Whoa!:

Hi Morkel,
I cropped very a little but i did not lighten the shadows.
VPN

v.p.nurdeen
01-05-2012, 10:14 PM
VPN - nice pose, comp and backlight but agree that it seems too warm and this is not as sharp as your previous posts. Also the grain/noise is a problem.

TFS,
Rachel

Hi Rachel,
The reason for the image not being sharp may be because I took this shot when the safari jeep motor was running fearing the Hyena would cross the road any moment :S3:
VPN

Steve Kaluski
01-06-2012, 02:51 AM
The reason for the image not being sharp may be because I took this shot when the safari jeep motor was running

Hi VPN, always best to have the engine switched off at all times when shooting, as any additional vibration will add to the shot, irrespective of how light it might be. Using a bean bag will absorb some vibration, or mono pod placed on your foot can also work well. You can also use a clamp fixed to the roll bar with a ball head for total support, but this would certainly require the engine switched off, as the vibration will travel more so through the frame.

If you want more info VPN drop me a line.

cheers
Steve

Harshad Barve
01-07-2012, 01:13 AM
nice conditions but image do not work for me , I hope you don't mind straight forward comment
TFS

Hayath Mohammed
01-07-2012, 01:26 PM
Like the composition and that controlled exposure with the rimlight.

Noise is something I think you can take up later in PP :)