PDA

View Full Version : the look

John Chardine
01-04-2012, 08:03 PM
I really like this look when the bird peers over its glasses at you.

This is a Chinstrap Penguin from Half Moon Island, South Shetlands, Antarctica.

I cropped to provide the intimate portrait and sharpened the face. All comments welcome.

Model: Canon EOS-1D Mark IV
Lens: EF70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM, @ 300 mm
Program: Aperture Priority
ISO 400, 1/3200s, f/7.1
Exp. comp.: +0.3
Flash: no flash

Kerry Perkins
01-04-2012, 08:37 PM
Love this John! Sweet capture of the look and those peering eyes adding just a bit of color - wonderful composition. Super job on the exposure and I'm loving the subtle difference in the white between the face, chest, and background snow. Thanks for sharing!

EzhilSuresh
01-05-2012, 03:39 PM
John, simply beautiful. I very much like the inquisitive look of the penguin.

John Chardine
01-05-2012, 04:25 PM
Thanks Ezhil an Kerry. I agree about the eyes! I still can't decide what colour they are. They seem to change from yellow to gold depending on the light.

P-A. Fortin
01-05-2012, 04:51 PM
Awesome shot. Makes me want to visit Antarctica.

Well, maybe not to the point of making it my next trip, but you get the idea :t3

Jeff Cashdollar
01-05-2012, 10:58 PM
Strong photo, love the composition what a great job with subject placement. Exposure is well done as well given the meter madness of black and white, hoping you have more to share John.

Amol Khedgikar
01-06-2012, 01:19 PM
What a beautiful capture!

The snowfall in the BG adds a different mood to it and take it out of a dark mood that I felt by looking just at the eyes. The eyes are captivating. you caught the exact "look". Its almost creepy if I look for too long at it.
The composition also is different and hence nice.

Cathy McEntee
01-06-2012, 08:20 PM
The black & white contrast with touch of gold, snowfall, different perspective make for an alluring image. Beautiful.

Alan Lillich
01-06-2012, 08:29 PM
The pose, framing, falling snow - all perfect! (Exposure probably is too, but it is hard for me to judge on my monitor.) Chinstraps have such elegant simplicity, I think they're my favorite penguin. I really like the way the strap here slips behind the chin on either side and leaves a white outline around the beak.