PDA

View Full Version : Laughing Kookaburra (Dacelo novaeguineae) Mount Molloy Queensland

Rod Warnock
01-04-2012, 06:14 AM
Laughing Kookaburra (Dacelo novaeguineae) Mount Molloy Queensland
Canon EOS 7D Lens 400mm L USM ISO400 F7.1 1/800 available light 6 July 2011
Perhaps one of Australian best known birds not only in Australia but overseas as well as often I find that people will recite popular verses as ditties featuring this species. Around home they appear to be a homely species and as a result are often fed however the species is a top predator and an efficient one of small birds, snakes, lizards etc so hand feeding is a mistake. The species does however does suffer greatly from reduction of nest sites as they nest in hollow trees which are often removed as being unsafe. The species is a spectacular bird on any count, I hope you enjoy this portrait taken at Mount Molloy a small town inland from Cairns and on the main road north towards Cooktown and of course Cape York. Pause at the small park on the left as you leave the town. A pleasant park is there with clear water and water lillies and resident and interesting variety of birds.
Thanks for viewing
Best regards
Rod Warnock

Jonathan Ashton
01-04-2012, 08:01 AM
I like the composition and the pose, excellent plumage detail. I am happy with the perch would consider lowering some of the highlights, in particular around the foot.

Mital Patel
01-04-2012, 09:01 AM
Rod,

This is a beautiful bird and you got him in just superb light.

How i wish the sharpness on the perch could have been less compared to the bird.

Daniel Cadieux
01-04-2012, 12:43 PM
Lots of good details, and I like the background (although I'd be tempted top smooth out the pale roundish areas below the perch. Speaking of the perch, it is very nice but Mital has a good point about it being too sharp and I'd tone it down in some parts too. Also a better HA would have been super, but I know birds do not always cooperate. Good vertical composition, and although the sun seems high (judging from the catchlight) the light quality on the subject is very nice.

EzhilSuresh
01-04-2012, 01:55 PM
Rod, beautiful bird with nice details. I very much like your (extra) description as well.

arash_hazeghi
01-04-2012, 09:14 PM
Nice shot, Agree with Mital and Dan. TFS