PDA

View Full Version : Sunflower Detail

Mirenchu Fernandez
01-03-2012, 01:25 AM
Thanks in advance for your comments and suggestions. This image was captured with camera Nikon D90; 1. sec; Manual Mode; f/22; ISO 100; 60 mm; PP in Photoshop CS5, Levels Adjustments; some cropping and selective sharpening.

Jerry van Dijk
01-03-2012, 04:30 PM
This sunflower looks just like a crackling fire! I like the tight crop. It would have been nice to see more detail in the shadows. Maybe a fill flash or selective lighting would have done the trick.

Steve Maxson
01-04-2012, 01:04 PM
Hi Mirenchu. Your image is very dramatic! It would be interesting to compare this with the less contrasty version suggested by Jerry, but I like it as presented. If this was mine, I would be temped to crop about 1/2 inch off the top to further draw our attention to those beautiful foreground petals. Very well done!

Dennis Bishop
01-06-2012, 01:17 PM
. . . It would have been nice to see more detail in the shadows. Maybe a fill flash or selective lighting would have done the trick.

I'd like to see more detail in the seed head, at least. But only if good contrast between it and the petals in front could be maintained. . . I expect that'd be possible.

. . . If this was mine, I would be temped to crop about 1/2 inch off the top to further draw our attention to those beautiful foreground petals. . .

I can see what you're saying, Steve, but it would come at a price. I'm not sure if Mirenchu has a great natural talent for divine proportions or uses an aid of some sort, which is what I do. I've seen it in some of her other images, and this one is no exception. Cropping from the top would compromise that. Whether the trade-off would be good or not is probably one of those qualitative personal preference things.

Ken Childs
01-07-2012, 11:37 AM
Hi Mirenchu, I do like this as presented but I think I'd like it even better if those shadows were opened up a bit. This should be easy to do with a SH adjustment and a little boost in contrast. I would also like it to be slightly sharper. Not a big thing but there are a few spots here and there on the petals that I would clone away. Overall this one is nicely done. :S3:

Anita Bower
01-21-2012, 07:06 AM
I like the crop very much--it is different and focuses the eye on the petals. Lovely colors. Like others, I wish there were some details in the dark areas.