PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Theme: Happy New Year, Best of 2011, & I'm Back

Paul Lagasi
01-02-2012, 10:35 AM
Hope you all had a festive holiday season. Bring on 2012. I took a break last year and really didn't get out as much with my camera, had a few health issues which I am addressing and generally stayed away from my computer and got back on the treadmill.

When I met Marina Scarr and her friend on Amherst Island I was able to get fairly close to this Snowy Owl. Its was a bust for small owls, there just seems to be no feed on the island this year, so small owls tough to find, at least so far.

Fotosketcher was used to do a B&W image which I merged with the original..this was my last image of 2011.

I have gotten my photo Life List up to 628 birds but was dissapointed that I couldn't photograph a gem that showed up here...I drove to Whitby Harbour near Toronto to see a Smew (generally found in the Aleutians or Norwegian arctic). The weather was terrible, a blizzard and howling wind, bird was out in choppy water but I did see it and thats important.

Also for those who care to read it here's and interesting article, that throws a different view on the birder/photographer feuds...http://birdingblogs.com/2011/Gunnar/the-future-of-birding
Wow..lots of info in this email....Glad to be back from a self imposed exile....:tinysmile_shy_t:

Dan Brown
01-02-2012, 11:10 AM
Welcome back, Paul! Congrats on 628! I am jealous regarding the snowy, I really want to get up north and see some of those guys!

Andrew McLachlan
01-02-2012, 08:14 PM
Hi Paul, great to have you back. Love the snowy. I hear there are a few hanging out around the Holland Marsh...might have to go have a look.

Cheryl Slechta
01-02-2012, 09:09 PM
Paul, I'm so glad you're back and hope you're doing well now. I've missed your images. (I love the Snowy:S3:)

denise ippolito
01-03-2012, 07:51 AM
Glad you're back Paul, you've been missed. Congrats on the 628! You no doubt worked hard for it:bg3:. Love the Snowy and I wish I was photographing one! Nice job with the fotosketcher.

Judy Howle
01-03-2012, 09:11 AM
Welcome back Paul, we missed you! I hope you have better health this year. I like the processing and pose of the snowy. I wish that I could see and photograph one but they are a long way from MS.

Jay Sheinfield
01-03-2012, 03:17 PM
Hey Paul, Nice to have you back. This image is super..............Love the white on white............the yellow eyes just knock me out.:S3:

Mark Fuge
01-03-2012, 10:11 PM
Nice image and application, Paul.

Great pose.

As my fishing buddies always say ... "Too bad about the one that got away!" but this was a good catch. :w3

Christopher Miller
01-04-2012, 09:50 AM
Glad to have you back, Paul! :S3: Beautiful image. I love those yellow eyes. I might try to soften the lines on the post a little.