PDA

View Full Version : Lions of Masai Mara # 8 ( King in grass with meal )

Harshad Barve
01-02-2012, 06:46 AM
Dear All

Masai Mara, One great evening with D3 with 200-400/F4 at F4 , ISO 800 , 1/500
All c & C are most welcome
Harshad

Ofer Levy
01-02-2012, 07:05 AM
Beautiful light and pose. Not crazy about the steak...:bg3:

Rachel Hollander
01-02-2012, 11:15 AM
Harshad - great pose and I like the wind blown effect.

TFS,
Rachel

Roger Clark
01-02-2012, 12:15 PM
Hello Harshad,

Great light, great pose, sharp and well exposed. But I see two problems in my opinion. The lion is too centered. I would crop off the top. But also the image to too flat. From the catchlight in the eye, it looks like the sun was directly behind you so there is no shading at all--the phase angle is too low. I would have moved ten to twenty degrees to the right. Do you have any images made to the right?

Roger

Morkel Erasmus
01-02-2012, 01:33 PM
Nice sighting and golden light Bhai. I see Roger's point about the angle. I like images in golden light where the light comes slightly from the side just a bit more than when the sun is directly behind me...:c3:
I don't mind the "steak" personally :e3

Had a crack at a bit of a crop and added some midtone contrast - perhaps too dark for the tastes of some - WDYT?

Steve Kaluski
01-02-2012, 03:44 PM
Harshad, this almost has the feeling of a flash, but I see by the Exif it had not been fired. I think Morkels version is going in the right direction, but for me, both are containing a lot of yellow overall, just look at the meat of the kill. Perhaps O comp or even -0.3 might have been better rather than +0.33 to give it some contrast?

Just my take on removing the yellow.

TFS
Steve

Morkel Erasmus
01-02-2012, 04:07 PM
Harshad, this almost has the feeling of a flash, but I see by the Exif it had not been fired. I think Morkels version is going in the right direction, but for me, both are containing a lot of yellow overall, just look at the meat of the kill. Perhaps O comp or even -0.3 might have been better rather than +0.33 to give it some contrast?

Just my take on removing the yellow.

TFS
Steve

Good assessment Steve. I thought mine was a bit overdone on yellow, but left it as is.

Harshadbhai - let me know if I'm wrong, but I'm assuming you shot this with WB set on either "sun" or "cloudy" in the already vibrant golden light? :e3

Tom Graham
01-02-2012, 09:11 PM
Thanks, I'll toss my redo in the mix :S3:
Contrast increased (simply Levels). Some blue added (yellow out). Result close to Morkel but not quite as dark?
Tom

v.p.nurdeen
01-02-2012, 10:36 PM
Hi Harshad,
I like this image its like a painting an ethereal feel to it :S3:
VPN

Robert Amoruso
01-03-2012, 10:24 AM
I might try between Steve's and Morkel's versions.

Grady Weed
01-03-2012, 02:13 PM
Morkels and Steve's re-do's are on the right track, as Robert noted. Give it a whirl and try it again in PS. A real keeper here. I too love the golden light and will use it every time versus flash.

Ken Watkins
01-13-2012, 09:18 AM
Harshad,

Very nice indeed of all the posts yours and Tom's look most natural too me, perhaps just a tad of darkening of neutrals in your OP