PDA

View Full Version : Hovering bald eagle

gail bisson
01-01-2012, 03:37 PM
Canon 7D
2.8 70-200mm with 1.4X at 280mm
Manual.
Cropped from a horizontal (landscape) to full vertical.
ISO 400
SS 1/1600
f 5.6
This eagle hovered over the beach for several seconds after being chased by gulls and crows. I haven't seen this type of flying very often and am glad for the nice light I had.
Image taken in December 2011 around 3;30 PM
PP in LR3 and added a bit of canvas on top .
Comments and critiques always appreciated and learned from with thanks,
Gail

Karl Egressy
01-01-2012, 04:31 PM
The underwing abd body are nicely lit. Nice HA, eye contact and a very different pose for sure. Overall it is a very nice picture, Gail.

Sid Garige
01-01-2012, 04:50 PM
Gail,

Techs are good and details too. But IMO the essential symmetry required for a good image is missing here. Good luck next time.

-Sid

gail bisson
01-01-2012, 05:20 PM
Hi Sid,
As I am always trying to learn and improve can you explain what you mean by "the essential symmetry".I hope that isn't a dumb question but I think you mean that the wing span on both sides should be the same?
Gail

arash_hazeghi
01-01-2012, 05:28 PM
very nice light and a great dark BG, good eye contact and under wing details. The red channel is blown in the head/tail area, I'd try to tame it.

I agree with Sid that the pose is not very dynamic and a bit awkward. I'm sure you got many better files! TFS

Sid Garige
01-01-2012, 05:33 PM
Hi Sid,
As I am always trying to learn and improve can you explain what you mean by "the essential symmetry".I hope that isn't a dumb question but I think you mean that the wing span on both sides should be the same?
Gail

Gail,
Yes, you already figured it out.
Probably these images can help in better understanding the concept
http://www.robertotoole.com/galleries/eagle/

Cheryl Arena Molennor
01-01-2012, 06:45 PM
I like it still. Yes wing position could be better and looks a little off but the light is great

Robert Holguin
01-01-2012, 08:35 PM
Real nice shot. I really like the light, excellent detail, and I understand what Sid has said, but I would love to have a pic like that in my files.
Well done.

Blake Cook
01-02-2012, 06:38 AM
Gail,

Techs are good and details too. But IMO the essential symmetry required for a good image is missing here. Good luck next time.

-Sid

<embed id="application/x-exifeverywhere" type="application/x-exifeverywhere" width="0" height="0">Sid, Your comment puzzles me. We photograph birds as they are and as they do. Gail's marvellous photo displays behaviour I have not seen photographed before and that difference makes it interesting and valuable.<embed id="application/x-exifeverywhere" type="application/x-exifeverywhere" width="0" height="0"> The character in the pose is the best part of the image to my taste.

Stu Bowie
01-02-2012, 07:31 AM
Hi Gail, the first thing that struck me immediately in this image, is the sweet light. I also like how you have exposed this, with good underwing detail. We all strive to capture the perfect shot every time, and we all know its not always possible. Im sure you have others in this sequence to share how this guy showed off for you. :w3

Joe Senzatimore
01-02-2012, 09:09 AM
I'm with Stuart as to the light. I think your choice of vertical comp. works well. I would like to see the far wing a bit sharper. If it weren't soft I think it would add the balance that Sid feels is missing.

EzhilSuresh
01-02-2012, 10:34 AM
Very nice details. A very different (and uncommon) composition. Thanks for sharing.

Geir Jensen
01-02-2012, 11:42 AM
I like the images very well. Wonderful light.:S3:

Sid Garige
01-02-2012, 03:45 PM
We photograph birds as they are and as they do. Gail's marvellous photo displays behaviour I have not seen photographed before and that difference makes it interesting and valuable. The character in the pose is the best part of the image to my taste.

Blake,

I guess our photography tastes and styles are different. good luck.

-Sid

v.p.nurdeen
01-02-2012, 11:15 PM
Hi Gail,
beautiful image good details.
VPN