PDA

View Full Version : Daisy

Mirenchu Fernandez
12-30-2011, 03:11 PM
Nikon D90; 0.006 sec; f/3.2; 60mm; ISO 100; + 1EV; no flash; manual mode; cs5 adjustments.
Thanks in advance for all you comments and suggestions.

Grahame Hamblin
12-31-2011, 03:44 AM
What a wonderful capture, clean whites and yellows. Not to sure about that bit of yellow on the left Wish it was mine
Grahame

Ken Childs
12-31-2011, 10:41 AM
Hi Mirenchu, this one certainly is lovely!
There are a few things I think could be done in PP to bring this one up a few levels. If this were mine, I'd crop from the top to just above the top petal of the main flower and as Grahame pointed out, that bit of yellow on the left is a distraction so I would paint or clone it away. The dark green in the LLC is also a distraction and could be lightened somewhat so it doesn't pull the eye away from the beautiful daisy. I would also like to see the center of the flower lightened up just a bit. In the field, a slight step to the left would have kept that one petal from blocking part of the flower center but really this doesn't bother me much at all. It looks nice as presented and a few simple PP tricks will easily bring this one up. Nicely done! :S3:

Mirenchu Fernandez
12-31-2011, 12:50 PM
Thank you very much for your comments. I tried to fix the image, but I'm not sure if it looks fine, it was hard to do it since the original had off focus around the daisy and also vignette, I did my best...

Steve Maxson
12-31-2011, 08:51 PM
Good suggestions by Grahame and Ken and you did a nice job with them in your repost. The yellow center really draws my eye and makes an excellent focal point for your image. The OOF petal on the right side of the yellow center is bothering me a little - like Ken notes, a slight move toward your left in the field would have made a difference - just something to keep in mind the next time out. :S3: Overall, this is very well done!

Julie Kenward
01-01-2012, 09:20 AM
I have to agree with Steve - the changes you made certainly help but that OOF area that encroaches on the yellow center of the daisy grabs my eye every time I look at it and I lose the focal point you were trying for. Making a shift to the left or removing that petal might have made the image even stronger.

I like the dark vignette look that is at the bottom two corners; might suggest you duplicate it on the top 2 for uniformity.

Dennis Bishop
01-01-2012, 02:36 PM
Nice job with the re-post. Your use of a large aperture suggests that you wanted a focus contrast between the center of the daisy and the rest of the image, and I think that's a great idea. With a greater distance between the subject flower and others in the background, the effect is easier to control in the camera. When that's not the case, I might take the shot with enough depth of field to ensure sharp focus in the subject flower and control the softness in the rest of the image in post-processing. Or I'd take one shot with lots of depth of field and some others with lesser amounts so I could layer them in Photoshop and get the desired effect with good control.

I'm not sure if the vignette was natural or added. In either case, I'm not bothered by it being darker at the bottom because that only helps to ground the image. It's one of those personal preference things.

Jerry van Dijk
01-01-2012, 04:04 PM
Hi Mirenchu, excellent use of DOF to draw attention to the flower center. It is further emphasized by being the only color in the image. Repost looks good! A better approach to eliminate the color in the left (and the color in the OOF parts that are still there in the RP) might be to select everything but the flower center and convert to B/W.