PDA

View Full Version : Pine Grosbeak

Nancy Bell
12-30-2011, 01:31 PM
Only rarely do I have Pine Grosbeaks come to the feeders so I was very pleased to capture their visit during a snow storm.

Canon 40D, Canon 300mm f4 L IS, ISO 400, 1/750, f4, exp. comp. +1

All c & c most appreciated.

Fernando Cerra
12-30-2011, 03:32 PM
I like the snow and face expresion, I don like the near face branch, overall great capture !

Daniel Cadieux
12-30-2011, 03:38 PM
I like the wintery feel and the snow action from the grosbeak pecking at the branch. I feel the subject is tight in the frame and the face is soft...either from moving and/or from critical focus being in front of the face.

Nancy Bell
12-30-2011, 03:59 PM
Daniel, I agree with it being tight in the frame but I didn't have anymore room at the top. I'll try more sharpening on the face. Thank you both for comments.

Norm Dulak
12-30-2011, 06:31 PM
Daniel, I agree with it being tight in the frame but I didn't have anymore room at the top. I'll try more sharpening on the face. Thank you both for comments.

Hi Nancy.

You have a nice image of a very interesting little bird. I agree with the comments made above and suggest that even if you don't have more space above the bird in your original file, you might be able to add canvass, duplicate and copy some of the area above the bird, paste it in above, and then conform the addition with cloning.

I also think the vertical branch to the right of the bird might be eliminated, by cloning.

I've tried to do those things in this repost, and have also sharpened the image a little more. What do you think about this repost? My apologies if you don't like the result! :S3:

Norm

arash_hazeghi
12-30-2011, 06:42 PM
nice behavior but this image doesn't quite work because the focus was on the wing and the head is OOF. unfortunately no amount of sharpening can save something like this...next time put the focus point on the head :S3: TFS

Jim Crosswell
12-30-2011, 07:03 PM
Nice image Nancy! I agree with the comments about being to tight and soft. Hopefully he comes back again to give you another chance.

Karl Egressy
12-30-2011, 07:55 PM
It is a great bird to have as a backyard bird, Nancy. Unfortunately the sharpness and DOF suffers a bit.

Brendan Dozier
12-30-2011, 08:44 PM
Wonderful winter image, Nancy! Some good suggestions to make it stronger and for next time, beautiful bird and I like the overall composition.

Cheryl Arena Molennor
12-31-2011, 08:17 PM
I like it Nancy. Looks to me like he was eating the snow from the branch so I like the branch included although Norm you did some nice PS work in repost..

Nancy Bell
12-31-2011, 11:39 PM
Yes, the bird was eating snow from the branch. But as Norm illustrated, in order to add canvas to the top it is necessary to clone away that branch. Thank you everyone for your assistance and advice. It helps me for the next time.