PDA

View Full Version : Military Starling

John Chardine
12-29-2011, 05:01 PM
I like the Falklands name of "Military Starling" better than the one thought up by some taxonomist with no imagination- in the books this species is called the Long-tailed Meadowlark! (OK it isn't a starling, rather it's a New World blackbird in the Icteridae family).

I've been away for the last 7 weeks in the southern hemisphere have had little time to post images to BPN. I again was lucky enough to get to the fabulous Falkland Islands, and this time to rat-free Carcass Island in the West Falklands. And you could tell there were no rats as the island was teaming with birds of all sorts. What a place!

This male has a bill-full of grubs to feed its chicks. The habitat is messy and I did do a little cleaning but nothing major. I reduced some noise in the BG, cropped a little and selectively sharpened the subject with Topaz Infocus. The reds seemed to have held in the conversion to jpeg. Comments of course very welcome!

Date: 8 November, 2011, Time: 1054h
Model: Canon EOS-1D Mark IV
Lens: EF70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM, @ 188 mm
Program: Aperture Priority
ISO 800, 1/1000s, f/7.1
Exp. comp.: +0.3
Flash: no flash

Norm Dulak
12-29-2011, 05:17 PM
Great shot, John, of a most interesting bird. The pose, composition, sharpness and the way you've handled the difficult reds are all excellent. And what a treat those grubs will provide!:S3:

gail bisson
12-29-2011, 05:53 PM
This is a great image of a bird I have never heard of! The IQ of the bird is excellent. I love the mouthful of different colored grubs. Nice pose and good light. It sounds like you had an incredible long adventure. I hope to see lots more of your shots,
gail

Sid Garige
12-30-2011, 01:27 AM
Interesting name and good looking bird. Bill full of grubs is added bonus for me.
May be little more space at the bottom?

-Sid

John Chardine
12-30-2011, 06:21 PM
Thanks to all. I think you are right Sid and I kick myself for cropping some off the bottom. I went too far I guess. At least I have some habitat to ad back.