PDA

View Full Version : Ruddy Turnstone in mussel bed

Grace Scalzo
12-27-2011, 05:26 PM
One of my favorites from 2011, taken in August on Long Island.

1/800, f8, ISO800
Canon 1Dmk4, 500 f4 + 1.4tc + ground pod

gail bisson
12-27-2011, 05:33 PM
Hi Grace,
I really like the earthtone colors and the pop of orange in the legs. IQ and position of bird is excellent and I can understand why this is one of your favorites. The BG is lovely as is the still water. I am not happy with the composition. I feel there is too much room up top. I would take some off the top and the left, trying to maintain a rectangular crop. A keeper for sure,
Gail

Grace Scalzo
12-27-2011, 05:38 PM
Gail, Thanks. I always like more room than most and figured that some would suggest taking from the top. I can buy that, but no way from the left. If I come in from the top I might also some in a bit from the right.

Blake Cook
12-27-2011, 06:07 PM
<embed id="application/x-exifeverywhere" type="application/x-exifeverywhere" width="0" height="0">Very nice capture, but I agree with both crops suggested by Gail. I would use a 3:2 ratio with the left side cropped at the S in Scalzo.<embed id="application/x-exifeverywhere" type="application/x-exifeverywhere" width="0" height="0"><embed id="application/x-exifeverywhere" type="application/x-exifeverywhere" width="0" height="0">

Grace Scalzo
12-27-2011, 06:12 PM
What am I missing? That would put his (or her) tail really close to the edge, no?

gail bisson
12-27-2011, 06:14 PM
I would crop to the a in Grace and wouldn't touch the right as you would cut into the lovely mussel mound,
Gail

Blake Cook
12-27-2011, 06:16 PM
What am I missing? That would put his (or her) tail really close to the edge, no?<embed id="application/x-exifeverywhere" type="application/x-exifeverywhere" width="0" height="0">

Yup it would.<embed id="application/x-exifeverywhere" type="application/x-exifeverywhere" width="0" height="0">

BTW is it bad form for me to have cropped Grace's photo?

Grace Scalzo
12-27-2011, 06:24 PM
How about this? I'm still not satisfied, so all opinions welcome. I feel as if this image has more potential than I am seeing. :2eyes2:

Grace Scalzo
12-27-2011, 06:26 PM
Not in my book, Blake. It's a critique forum and I am happy for your suggestion.

Daniel Cadieux
12-27-2011, 06:30 PM
<EMBED id=application/x-exifeverywhere height=0 type=application/x-exifeverywhere width=0>

Yup it would.<EMBED id=application/x-exifeverywhere height=0 type=application/x-exifeverywhere width=0>

BTW is it bad form for me to have cropped Grace's photo?

Not bad form at all Blake, reposts are one of the educational tools we have and use here on BPN.:c3:

I feel Grace's image in pane #8 hits the sweet spot comp-wise for me! Wonderful image all around. Love the low angle and the mussels. I do want to reach out and pluck away the grass blade stuck on the turnstone's plumage though!

Grace Scalzo
12-27-2011, 06:41 PM
This is why this forum is so valuable to me. It is a free and open exchance of opinions which, when offered and accepted in a positive spirit, nearly always leads to improvement. Thanks, Daniel, that grass will be "plucked". I'm always torn regarding removing elements that occur naturally, but it isn't too attactive. And thanks to Blake and Gail for your valuable input.

gail bisson
12-27-2011, 06:47 PM
I am happy with pane # 8. I think the fly in the ointment with this image is the somewhat hunched over pose of the turnstone. If he had been standing taller I would have been happy with the extra room on top. If you can live with this crop I would clone away the mussel touching the RHS of the frame just to give a bit of breathing room,
Gail
I can't believe how we are tweeking an image that was lovely to begin with.:Whoa!:

Daniel Cadieux
12-27-2011, 06:53 PM
I can't believe how we are tweeking an image that was lovely to begin with.:Whoa!:

Most often it is the subtle tweaks that turn an already lovely image into super lovely one!:S3:

dankearl
12-27-2011, 07:37 PM
I prefer the OP. The usual great IQ and just great color.
I like the space it gives the bird.
Since the bird is hunched, the crop just makes it look more so.
If you look at both, the room on top in the OP makes the image more pleasing to me.

Ofer Levy
12-27-2011, 08:32 PM
Lovely image indeed! I feel that some off the top does the trick. WHat do you think?

Mike Landwehr
12-27-2011, 08:48 PM
Grace, both #8 and #15 offer subtle improvements over the original post. Personally , I lean toward #8. I really like the low angle, the super eye contact, the way that the greens in the OOF background complement the foreground seaweed, the sharpness of the feather detail, and especially the way that the legs pop against the dark background. A beautiful image, for certain.

Stu Bowie
12-28-2011, 02:28 AM
Hi Grace, a little late in the discussion here. An excellent image all round with the low perspective and sharp detail. I love the overall setting, light and colours look great. Comp wise, reposts in pane #8 and #15 both work for me.

Tom Rambaut
12-28-2011, 02:51 AM
Could go 8 or 15 crop wise.

Grace Scalzo
12-28-2011, 09:15 AM
Thanks for the valuable opinions everyone. I'm still undecided and am going to revisit this image in a couple days with fresh eyes and mind. I'm also going to go back to my files and see if there is one in the series where the turnstone has a slightly more upright posture. I have in mind to make a print of this one, so want to work it to the point where I look at it pleasingly not critically.

Cheryl Arena Molennor
12-28-2011, 09:17 AM
I'm on the 8 and 15 crop boat. I saw no need to take from the left but did agree with a little from the top. I would probablyhave left more than the reposts. Bye the way really nice image with great colors and nice glassy reflection. I think after I plucked the grass from the bird I would want to collect all that seaweed and make me a seaweed salad!!:bg3:

Geir Jensen
12-28-2011, 09:53 AM
I think it's a beautiful picture. Great light, great BG, great IQ. I like the Comp to Ofer Levy, it makes the picture even better.
I envy you the picture, would love to have it in my Collection.
Best regards Geir Jensen:bg3: