PDA

View Full Version : Morning at St. Mary's Lodge

Gayle Clement
04-07-2008, 03:56 PM
This was taken on a very cold and windy morning last fall. After taking many photos of the early light on Grinnel's point I turned around and photographed the cabin and rock face behind me.

Nikon D2Xs
Nikkor 24-130mm f/3.5-5.6 VR
1/2s f/22.0 at 35.0mm iso100

Jim Poor
04-07-2008, 05:26 PM
This almost has a Thomas Kinkade look to it! Very nice. I'm still feeling my way into the landscape world, but I wonder what this would look like with the lodge a smidge higher and to the right.

Robert Amoruso
04-07-2008, 07:56 PM
I like this image too Gayle. We are learning Jim well here in the Landscape forum, that is what I would recommend as well.

By placing the house further up and cropping from the right more, you move the house into a better position to balance the three ridges.

The ridges are very well placed and with the increase in haze as they recede into the BG create depth to the image. And that is just what you want to do. Nicely seen.

I would open up the shadows a bit more. I hope to see more of you work here.

Roman Kurywczak
04-07-2008, 09:54 PM
Hi Gayle,
While I agree with the above recommendations............I'll try a different crop for you to try. Crop off the left even with the yellowish tree at the bottom left. From the bottom.........go with the roof line of the lodge or a little below and crop it out. do the shadow work Robert recommended and???
Try all of them and decide for yourself,
Roman
PS..check my signature with the filters...would have worked here!

Mike Moats
04-08-2008, 06:44 AM
Hey Gayle, very nice image and agree with the others on the comp. Well done.

gary rouleau
04-08-2008, 09:57 PM
Oh Gayle this is wonderful. It works for me.