PDA

View Full Version : White-headed Pigeon

Ian Colley
01-04-2008, 09:14 PM
My first post, and new to the site. I am learning a lot from the forum already and can hopefully apply what I have learnt to some of my images.

This image was created ith an Olympus E500, 50-200mm, 1.4TC, at 283mm, ISO 400, 1/125 F4.9, Aperture priority, -0.3 Exp. comp., RAW, no flash. Early morning, dull light.

I am learning both photography, and PP techniques and still struggling with correct exposure.

I blew the highlights slightly above the birds eye, adjusted Exp. slightly in Adobe Bridge.

This is a crop of approx 75% of the original, levels, curves to lighten a couple of dark areas at the front of the wings, quick Mask, smartsharpen 500, 0.2 lens blur, slight colour adjustment to neutral & black. Also cloned out a few distracting leaves from the background.

Thank you to a great forum.

Scott Schupbach
01-04-2008, 09:33 PM
I think did very well here.Your PP skills are well beyond mine.

Scott

Linda Robbins
01-04-2008, 10:56 PM
Hello Ian, and Welcome to BPN!

Hi Ian, welcome to BPN! Lovely post and beautiful subject. The corrected exposure looks great here, so your original exposure must not have been off much at all. You did a good job with post processing. I like the subject's pose, and you captured a good head angle. The square crop works fine here, but I think it could use a bit more room above the bird's head. Well done, and I look forward to seeing more of your posts!

Linda

Judd Patterson
01-05-2008, 12:00 AM
Welcome Ian! A lovely image that you created. The key areas are very sharp and I love the sloped branch that the pigeon chose for a perch. Your Photoshop work looks excellent as well. I agree that a little more room on top could improve things. I'd also suggest giving back a little room on the right side (if you have it) to allow more room in the direction of the bird's glance. Great first post!

Gyorgy Szimuly
01-05-2008, 05:19 AM
Very nice first post. I like the setting, the softer bg and the details on the bird. I would use different image ratio as usual. Definitely a nice start.:)
Szimi

Arthur Morris
01-05-2008, 06:16 AM
Very nicely done. As someone said to me about 23 yeas ago, you are far more than a fledling bird photgrapher. Agree with the a bit more above the bird posteds. Do you know how to add canvas?

later and love,

artie

Ian Colley
01-05-2008, 02:15 PM
To everyone who has offered advise, thankyou. Thanks very much for the suggestions re composition. Unfortunately I have no more room to use from my original image to the right, but I have some from above the bird. I will be a little more vigilant when offered with similar opportunities in the future. I know how to ad canvas, but have never used it to enlarge an image, but I will give it a go.

Thanks again for the support, great site.

DanWalters
01-05-2008, 09:52 PM
Beautiful shot! Love the colors and the clean background.