PDA

View Full Version : Gadwall

Robert Holguin
12-23-2011, 03:10 AM
Hello everyone. There is a pair of these ducks at our local lake. They are very skittish and extremely hard to get them within shooting range. So this time I decided to use a call from one of my phone app. First time using a call so I did not have high hopes but I was wrong I had both of them come into range. Here is pic from that morning.
C&C welcomed and encouraged.
Camera - Nikon 300s, Lense - Nikon 200-400 w/1.4 tc, Exposure - 1/400, Aperture - F8, ISO - 320, Focal Length - 840mm, Metering - Multi Segment, Manual. Call Used.

Simon Wantling
12-23-2011, 05:01 AM
Beautiful colors and detail Robert. There's a lot of these on my local lake but as you say, they're pretty nervous and hence I haven't managed to get one close enough for a photo. Interesting about your technique using a bird call app. Just checked it out but unfortunately it seems more geared to the US rather than UK species.

Anyway, cracking photo. Especially like the blue in the water around the bird.

Simon

Jonathan Ashton
12-23-2011, 06:29 AM
I really like the subtle colours, lovely head turn and a complimentary background. I think the angle of the duck can be misleading but having said that I feel a little CW rotation may be required.

gail bisson
12-23-2011, 07:19 AM
Nice image. Agree re: a bit of CW rotation. Good HA as well,
Gail

dankearl
12-23-2011, 10:32 AM
Maybe just a bit of rotation, I actually think the angle is deceiving and it is level, however, the perception is not.
Very nice exposure and silky water.

Melissa Groo
12-23-2011, 03:17 PM
Beautiful bird and image, Robert, well done. I'd like to see just a bit more room above but still very nice as presented.

Robert Holguin
12-26-2011, 02:31 PM
Thank you all very much for the comments, much appreciated.