PDA

View Full Version : Snowy Owls Boundary Bay near Vancouver

Blake Cook
12-22-2011, 08:56 PM
106141<embed id="application/x-exifeverywhere" type="application/x-exifeverywhere" width="0" height="0">

Most of my avian photography to this point has been aircraft, but a recent purchase of a longer lens has turned me to birds. I'm interested in whatever suggestions you have.<embed id="application/x-exifeverywhere" type="application/x-exifeverywhere" width="0" height="0">
The photo was taken just after sunrise with some cloud lines filtering and darkening it a bit. I've selected the detached look from the pair because local newspapers have been very critical of photographers "terrorizing" the owls. In the 4 hours I spent on site in two days I did not see a single bird fly because someone got too close.

Satish Ranadive
12-22-2011, 10:59 PM
Extremely well composed frame.Wood and grass along with bg gave beautiful 3D effect to this marvelous image.Loved the eyes and it's colors...

Christian Neumann
12-23-2011, 03:13 AM
Beautiful! I love the composition and the light.
I learned that there is a major Snowy Owl irruption this winter in the U.S. What a dream!

Jonathan Ashton
12-23-2011, 06:33 AM
A truly outstanding image, I think the light and the composition is excellent. The fact that the birds are not looking directly down the lens adds a sense of calm and I do not feel we are missing anything by not having four big eyes staring at us. I think this would make a print to be really proud of - congratulations I am smitten by this image.:5

Randy Stout
12-23-2011, 06:59 AM
Blake:

This is a superb image, with great depth, loads of subtle details, evocative lighting, and wonderful subjects.

My first thought was that it is a bit too dark, but as I study it more, I think the luminosity suits the overall image well.

As a very minor point, I would probably use the clone stamp to gently fill in the brighter blue spot in the RUC. I might consider cleaning up the white wash as well.

Def. one to print and admire for years to come.

Cheers

Randy

Blake Cook
12-23-2011, 07:04 AM
<embed id="application/x-exifeverywhere" type="application/x-exifeverywhere" width="0" height="0">Thank all of you for the kind comments. 8:05 am sunrise is palatable here in the winter. I'm not so sure I will make much of a bird photographer in the summer months with sunrise at near 4am:S3:<embed id="application/x-exifeverywhere" type="application/x-exifeverywhere" width="0" height="0">

Randy Stout
12-23-2011, 07:19 AM
Blake:

I spent some more time examining this fine image, and couldn't resist trying a few minor tweaks.

clone stamped in the the blue areas along the top.

removed a OOF grass behind the right birds head

slightly brightened the eye in shadow of the right bird

played with the luminosities of the trunk and BG to give a bit more spotlight on the birds.

Minor embellishments on a fine capture, just a few options to consider.

Cheers

Randy

Craig Kerr
12-23-2011, 07:30 AM
A super double of these owls, early morning light adds. Nice One

Blake Cook
12-23-2011, 07:35 AM
<embed id="application/x-exifeverywhere" type="application/x-exifeverywhere" width="0" height="0">Thank-you for the time Randy. I like your original comment to remove the blue in the RUC but I think I prefer the subtle framing of the remaining blue in the original. Adding light to the bird's eye seems to intensify an otherwise peaceful image.

The original is somewhat darker on my laptop compared to my iMac which I'm beginning think is too bright. I thought the Huey calibration would have dealt with monitor brightness. Perhaps just colour balance??<embed id="application/x-exifeverywhere" type="application/x-exifeverywhere" width="0" height="0">

dankearl
12-23-2011, 10:27 AM
These images are killing me.
How fortunate you are and you made the most of it.
Beautiful.

Blake Cook
12-23-2011, 01:18 PM
<embed id="application/x-exifeverywhere" type="application/x-exifeverywhere" width="0" height="0">Randy, I edited the photo as you suggested with the exception of the eye. I like your edit in the RUC better. I assume you meant droppings by the term "white wash". I made minor adjustments in curves after dropping the brightness of my iMac monitor a bit. It's interesting how removing the droppings seems to move the birds back and behind a bit, leaving them seem taller before.
106158<embed id="application/x-exifeverywhere" type="application/x-exifeverywhere" width="0" height="0"><embed id="application/x-exifeverywhere" type="application/x-exifeverywhere" width="0" height="0">

gail bisson
12-23-2011, 02:00 PM
Your last repost is outstanding. No nits from me except that I am soooo jealous of your opportunity to see these gorgeous birds,
Gail

Melissa Groo
12-23-2011, 03:16 PM
Beautiful moody capture, Blake, and so neat to see two sitting together. I really like the low light and the comp. You've done a great job. I like Randy's work on it very much too.

arash_hazeghi
12-23-2011, 04:10 PM
very nice you got two but it is too dark as presented IMO.

Blake Cook
12-23-2011, 06:58 PM
<embed id="application/x-exifeverywhere" type="application/x-exifeverywhere" width="0" height="0">Arash,

Thanks for the comment. It got me thinking. Brighter is ok but it required an early morning light adjustment because I felt it would be too sterile otherwise.

Blake

Tom Redd
12-24-2011, 12:31 AM
Blake, I really like the second post, pane #11. The image BG may be dark, but the subjects are illuminated nicely. I like it.
How fortunate to be able to see this many of these guys.

Blake Cook
12-24-2011, 12:44 AM
Blake, I really like the second post, pane #11. The image BG may be dark, but the subjects are illuminated nicely. I like it.
How fortunate to be able to see this many of these guys.<embed id="application/x-exifeverywhere" type="application/x-exifeverywhere" width="0" height="0">

Thanks Tom. I agree, Pane 11 is much better balanced. If I had gone back to colour temp in raw instead of fooling around with colours in jpg pane #15 might have been better. Colour adjustment are certainly a weak point here.:w3<embed id="application/x-exifeverywhere" type="application/x-exifeverywhere" width="0" height="0">

Richard Unsworth
12-24-2011, 01:33 AM
:S3:

Classic pic; another for pane 11, beautifuls birds and composition