PDA

View Full Version : Chinstrap Penguin Rock

Norm Dulak
12-22-2011, 06:28 PM
Nikon D7000 w/Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6 VR lens @ 50mm, hand held
ISO 800; f/9.0, 1/800 sec; MM +0.33
PP: PS CS5 levels, curves, modest saturation boost and smart sharpen.

The Christmas day weather forecast for the mid-Atlantic region where I live is for mild, balmy conditions. If that happens, I may have to look to this image captured at Half Moon Island, Antarctica, for my white Christmas.

I especially like the rugged rock formation with the colorful lichen growth on it and, of course, those beguiling Chinstrap Penguins.

Norm

Joe Senzatimore
12-25-2011, 08:05 AM
Good story telling image. Would like to see the Penguins stand out a bit more. I think it needs some better seperation between the rock and the birds.

Norm Dulak
12-25-2011, 11:03 AM
Good story telling image. Would like to see the Penguins stand out a bit more. I think it needs some better seperation between the rock and the birds.

Thanks everyone for looking. And thanks Joe for your comment!

The problem here is that the very dark regions of the rock are difficult to lighten without damaging other areas. So separating the black backs of the penguins from those dark areas is difficult.

To try to address your concern, I've cautiously applied Shadows & Highlights, with what I hope is a somewhat better result.

Season's Greetings to everyone!

Norm

Robert Amoruso
12-25-2011, 10:06 PM
Norm,

The whites got somewhat dingy looking. I think this is going to me a tough scene to do justice to given the blending of the rocks and penguins and flat lighting on them not creating better separation.

Norm Dulak
12-26-2011, 04:37 AM
Norm,

The whites got somewhat dingy looking. I think this is going to me a tough scene to do justice to given the blending of the rocks and penguins and flat lighting on them not creating better separation.

I agree, Robert. And I think my original post was about as good as I could do, given the circumstances.

Norm Dulak
12-26-2011, 06:39 AM
The obvious gloomy lighting conditions and wide dynamic tonal range posed technical problems pointed out above.

Nevertheless, I found this scene fascinating and am pleased to share it with you. :S3:

Grady Weed
12-27-2011, 02:16 PM
The OP is the way to go here Norm. I like the scenes cold, but intimate feeling. Looks like a place to visit in the future.

Don Lacy
12-27-2011, 07:24 PM
Hi Norm, I added some mid tone contrast to the image to help pop the subjects just a tad more . A really cool image and a dream of mine to one day see and photograph penguins