PDA

View Full Version : Great Tit

Jonathan Ashton
12-22-2011, 12:31 PM
Canon 7D Canon 500mm f4 l IS ISO 1250 1/250 sec f4.5

I knew I was pushing my luck here to get a sharp image but I just persevered.

The Great Tit had a bit of a weed on him because a bully boy Greenfinch would just not get off his feeder!

All C & C welcome.

Richard Unsworth
12-22-2011, 02:09 PM
Nice pose Jon, proper grumpy
pretty noisless for 7D AT 1250 ; did you run NR on bird?
Lower edge of tail could be toned down a little

Brendan Dozier
12-22-2011, 04:09 PM
Nice one, Jon, great looking bird. Like the open beak pose, soft light, nice BG, and great texture to the perch. Agree about toning down lower edge of tail, maybe tad more NR on BG.

Jonathan Ashton
12-22-2011, 05:46 PM
Thanks for the comments, I ran a Topaz light over the whole image, I then isolated the background and ran a heavier NR over that.

Simon Wantling
12-23-2011, 01:45 AM
Great pose and background on this one Jonathan. Looks like he means business.

I always seem to run topaz denoize as a standard part of my workflow. It just seems to crisp things up a bit especially on iso800 +. Not sure how to apply reduction to just the background though. I assume layers plus a layer mask ?

Jonathan Ashton
12-23-2011, 05:38 AM
Great pose and background on this one Jonathan. Looks like he means business.

I always seem to run topaz denoize as a standard part of my workflow. It just seems to crisp things up a bit especially on iso800 +. Not sure how to apply reduction to just the background though. I assume layers plus a layer mask ?

Simon there are a number of ways, yes using a layer mask as you mention, this is how I have done it for the past 3-4 years perhaps even simpler is to select the subject using the magic wand then inverse the selection ensuring you protect the edge of the subject, then run NR on the background. If you do this after resizing you can then invert the selection once again and with that section selectively sharpen your subject.