PDA

View Full Version : Looking for A Place To Land

Joe Senzatimore
12-22-2011, 11:25 AM
From one of the few good days we had at Bosque. Loved watching these birds come in to roost. Reminded me of my old Naval aviation days watching the squdron come back from missions.

800 ISO f5.6 at 1/4000th
Cropped a bit for comp and ran Noise reduction on the BG

Melissa Groo
12-22-2011, 11:54 AM
Just beautiful, Joe. Love the sense of habitat here, the open bill, the legs in different positions. Great colors, sharpness and comp. Well done!

Daniel Cadieux
12-22-2011, 12:28 PM
I like the pose and habitat, great light too. As posted the image seems to suffer from jpeg compression...lots of artefacts around the perimeter of the subject and a very pixelated BG...

Jonathan Ashton
12-22-2011, 12:36 PM
Joe I hope you can fix this because it looks like a great image to me.

Joe Senzatimore
12-22-2011, 01:33 PM
I like the pose and habitat, great light too. As posted the image seems to suffer from jpeg compression...lots of artefacts around the perimeter of the subject and a very pixelated BG...

Yeah , I saw that as well , but don't know why. It's not a big crop and I know it's not over sharpened or over processed. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Grace Scalzo
12-22-2011, 03:54 PM
I love the legs, good job capturing that. Open beak and wing position add alot. As for the processing, do what I do and ask Lou. :w3

Brendan Dozier
12-22-2011, 04:20 PM
Yeah , I saw that as well , but don't know why. It's not a big crop and I know it's not over sharpened or over processed. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

This is outstanding Joe, just needs a bit of clean-up around perimeter of bird. I think it may have happened when you did the NR on BG. Could be selection of BG was slightly off, sometimes zooming in and manually adjusting selection, or using refine edge in CS5 if you have it will help.

arash_hazeghi
12-22-2011, 04:26 PM
this seems like a nice photo but as posted suffers from heavy compression. you need to use "save for web" in PS, this has been discussed many times before here

Joe Senzatimore
12-22-2011, 08:42 PM
Did a "save for web". When I ran the NR I did it globaly with no selections.

Robert Holguin
12-23-2011, 12:50 AM
Real nice shot. Love the flight pose, great warm light, and great background.
Well done.

Jonathan Ashton
12-23-2011, 05:41 AM
Real nice shot. Love the flight pose, great warm light, and great background.
Well done.

Jo prior to Save for web what was your image size? It is good to make it 1024px wide or similar and 800px max height then do the final sharpen immediately before Save for Web. My apologies if you already know this - just trying to help.:S3:

Joe Senzatimore
12-23-2011, 06:54 AM
Jo prior to Save for web what was your image size? It is good to make it 1024px wide or similar and 800px max height then do the final sharpen immediately before Save for Web. My apologies if you already know this - just trying to help.:S3:
No apology necessary. I did just what you said , as is my normal work flow. I do appreciate your input , and thank you for your concerns.

gail bisson
12-23-2011, 01:57 PM
What a great shot. I don't know why the pixellation is there. I have an image that I have thought about posting and every time i check the image in "preview post" it shows the same kind of artifacts but looks perfect on my monitor. I have tried and done all the things mentioned here and still comes up weird. Mu gut feeling is that it has something to do with edge selection. Have you gone back to the RAW and reworked as suggested above? Maybe a weird glitch that will disappear if you start all over again?
Gail

Joe Senzatimore
12-24-2011, 10:07 AM
What a great shot. I don't know why the pixellation is there. I have an image that I have thought about posting and every time i check the image in "preview post" it shows the same kind of artifacts but looks perfect on my monitor. I have tried and done all the things mentioned here and still comes up weird. Mu gut feeling is that it has something to do with edge selection. Have you gone back to the RAW and reworked as suggested above? Maybe a weird glitch that will disappear if you start all over again?
Gail

Thanks gail,
I never did any selection on this image. Anything I did was global.