PDA

View Full Version : Cheetah

Steve Kaluski
12-22-2011, 05:08 AM
One of three Cheetahs brothers, this one was alert to the fact there was a a possible meal available whilst the other two lounged about on the termite mound. Shortly after this was taken the Cheetah took down a 2-3 day old Impala, only then to drag it back some 400m to share it with it's brothers. Within 15 minutes all that was left of the impala was a front leg bone!!!

The grey in the BKG is the termite mound, some may not like the slight white patchy parts, however I have left them in to add a little interest to it, rather than s solid colour.

Steve
Subject: Cheetah face, close-up (Acinonyx jubatus)
Camera: Canon MKIV
Lens: 500f/4 + 1.4x - HH
Exposure: 1/200s at f/9 ISO200 +1/3 stop compensation
Crop: Slight crop (original capture horizontal)

gail bisson
12-22-2011, 06:54 AM
Very intimate shot Steve. Because this is sooo close I really miss seeing the pupil in the cheetah's left eye. The comp is unusual but it works for me.Love the 2 flies especially the one about to crawl into the nostril! How much more real does it get! BG is fine. Lovely image of an animal I have yet to see IRL,
Gail

Hilary Hann
12-22-2011, 07:12 AM
Superb photograph of a cheetah. Love all the detail, love the fact that the face is clipped (very NOW, in portrait circles:t3 ). Agree with Gail on the fly. Well done and happy Christmas.

Vivaldo Damilano
12-22-2011, 07:20 AM
Your usual trademark Steve, is cheetah is super sharp with lots of detail. Good F-stop settings. I am wondering why you used such a low SS:w3 Not that it made any difference :bg3: Great shot TFS:cheers:

Rachel Hollander
12-22-2011, 08:16 AM
Steve - I think you know that I love this one. Each time I look at it I see another detail that I missed the first time, the drop of saliva, the flies, the rough edge of the tongue. It all works for me.

TFS,
Rachel

Roger Clark
12-22-2011, 10:53 AM
HI Steve,

Tight or wide, or VERY tight? As you may know I like tight, and this is very tight and well done. In particular, I like the head angle because at this close range, if the cheetah was looking more at you, then the safari vehicle would be reflecting in the eye. But with this head angle, we only see landscape. Sweet.

Question: how did you get so low?

Roger

Shaun Boycott-Taylor
12-23-2011, 05:04 PM
Simply sublime Steve. Up to your usual Gold Medal Standard:w3

Great portrait of a beautiful creature. The background is fine.

Love it.

Shaun:wave:

Pieter de Waal
12-24-2011, 03:55 AM
Exceptional high quality image Steve. Great detail and good natural colour but the expression captured in the eyes make this one for me.

Robert Amoruso
12-25-2011, 09:36 PM
I would agree - with that camera - pump up the ISO and go for a faster shutter speed.

Though I like this as presented for the reasons mentioned, I would also like to see more forehead to decide which I personally liked best.

Steve Canuel
12-26-2011, 04:34 PM
Tight comp works well here Steve. Of course the outstanding detail and clarity might have something to do with that. Colors look good too.

Morkel Erasmus
12-29-2011, 06:37 AM
Oodles of high quality detail here Steve, really like the crop/comp too...:5

Harshad Barve
12-30-2011, 10:59 PM
This is top stuff Steve
TFS