PDA

View Full Version : Yellow Warbler

Fred Canter
12-21-2011, 06:19 PM
Another photo from this week.
I was in deep shade when this bird decided to land in the perfect spot.
Was in manual mode, but no time to change nothing but SS.
Nikon D3s, 600 f/4 @ f8, 1/2000, ISO 1600, tripod and gimbal head.
Slight crop.

gail bisson
12-22-2011, 06:46 AM
Very nice light on the bird and I like the pose. I wish I could see the tail- if only you had time to move a bit to the right. I like the BG greens as well,
Gail

Bill Jobes
12-22-2011, 09:31 AM
Very nice photo, Fred. You did a nice job managing the deep yellow and reddish hues in the deep shade.

One thing that caught my attention is the catch-light. It seems a bit unusual to be perfectly round, and dead center in the eye. Was this something you added ?

To my eye, the bird seems slightly soft, and at least on my monitor, lacking feather detail that I would have expected to see. I have difficulty discerning the focus point.

Nonetheless, the overall impression of the image is a positive one.:S3:

Daniel Cadieux
12-22-2011, 10:25 AM
Glad to see these guys are doing well on their winter vacation!:c3: Good colours, and a very nice BG. Too bad the tip of the tail is obstructed, and I find the angle steep. From the perch I can see that critical focus seems to be slightly in fornt of the near foot, this would explain why the face looks slightly softer than the body.

You can send these guys back up here around May please...

Fred Canter
12-22-2011, 04:45 PM
Thanks Gail,
I do have the tail in a few shots, but unfortunately there are way worse problems with those shots.

Thanks Bill,
I went back and looked at the other few frames I have and the catchlight is the same in all the shots.
It moves around depending on the HA, but it's perfectly round in all the shots.
I notice it more now after you bring my attention to it, and wonder for the future if I need to change it or leave it
if it was there in the field? For me that's a tough call, as if it is there do I really need to make a change to it.
What is your opinion?
There is a very good chance I missed critical focus on the photo. I just happened too fast, as I was trying to
photograph in a different direction when I saw this bird land. I spun the SS wheel as I panned the camera and
shot a few frames. I did not ever get a shot at the perch I was setup to shoot on.

Thanks Daniel,
It is very likely that I missed the focus some, as it was a speedy shot.
The angle is steep, but not as steep as what I usually have to deal with.
I can't say if it's a preference or not, but I usually see these birds in Mangroves.
They are either deep inside the dense tree, or at the top. This one was about
mid-way, I've tried and have seen others much more experienced than I am
attempt multiple techniques to bring them lower and into the open and nothing has
worked, YET.
I'm sure these birds will be back to see you around May. In the area I was in they
are definitely migratory birds. I have another area that it doesn't matter what time
of the year I visit there are always a few YWs around. I've had several people tell
me that they all migrate, but yet a local biologist tells me there are always some
birds that are here. I don't know, all I know for sure that in the past two years
there are always YWs in a certain location.

Bill Jobes
12-23-2011, 07:10 PM
[QUOTE=Fred Canter;754069]Thanks Gail,
I do have the tail in a few shots, but unfortunately there are way worse problems with those shots.

Thanks Bill,
I went back and looked at the other few frames I have and the catchlight is the same in all the shots.
It moves around depending on the HA, but it's perfectly round in all the shots.
I notice it more now after you bring my attention to it, and wonder for the future if I need to change it or leave it
if it was there in the field? For me that's a tough call, as if it is there do I really need to make a change to it.
What is your opinion?
There is a very good chance I missed critical focus on the photo. I just happened too fast, as I was trying to
photograph in a different direction when I saw this bird land. I spun the SS wheel as I panned the camera and
shot a few frames. I did not ever get a shot at the perch I was setup to shoot on.

I wouldn't advocate removing or changing the catchlight, if that's the way it appeared naturally. There's certainly nothing intrinsically wrong with it. The precision of its shape and placement just caught my attention, and I was curious about it.:S3: