PDA

View Full Version : Wild Turkey II - juvenile.

Daniel Cadieux
12-21-2011, 06:14 PM
Among the few adults in the flock of 15-20 individuals are many young ones, likely a merging of a couple of families. They are the first ones to come for handouts, and the easiest to isolate for photos. They are, however, mostly face-down pecking and scrathching the ground for seeds. While crouching down low to get to eye-level with them raising my hand way up in the air and snapping my fingers seemed to be the most succesful way to get their attention and heads up from the ground...either that, or shaking my plastic bag full of seeds :-)

Once they get a bit too far away from the adults it is quite comical hearing them being called out and seeing them rush quickly one behind the other back towards the safety of their parents.

Canon 7D + 100-400L @350mm, manual exposure, evaluative metering, 1/500s., f/7.1, ISO 400, natural light, handheld, FF. A distracting reflection in the BG (close to the head) cloned out. Eye doctor work to remove excessive reflections via burn and patch tools.

Jim Crosswell
12-21-2011, 06:22 PM
Another excellent image Daniel! I like the composition, details, sharpness and complimentary BG.

Fred Canter
12-21-2011, 06:23 PM
Another beautiful wild turkey. Great detail of the head and neck feathers.
Consider yourself lucky, then ones I grew up around could spot movement
hundreds of yards away and you couldn't get close.

Daniel Cadieux
12-21-2011, 06:29 PM
Another beautiful wild turkey. Great detail of the head and neck feathers.
Consider yourself lucky, then ones I grew up around could spot movement
hundreds of yards away and you couldn't get close.

That is pretty much our experience up here too so you can be sure that the local photographers are taking advantage of this Christmas gift from Mother Nature:S3:

Kaustubh Deshpande
12-21-2011, 06:50 PM
Daniel, terrific shot. exposure, light, HA, BG, details....everything is quite impressive.

Cheryl Arena Molennor
12-21-2011, 09:04 PM
Beautiful light . I think you did so well with these guys. The colors and detail are so nice and the work on the eye is great IMO. Excellent detail too.

Ofer Levy
12-21-2011, 09:21 PM
What a stunning portrait!!! Fantastic work mate! :cheers:

gail bisson
12-22-2011, 06:49 AM
Love the comp and the IQ and the colors. The hints of gold on the tips of the feathers are beautiful,
Gail

Manjeet & Yograj Jadeja
12-22-2011, 09:11 AM
Stunning shot,
nice detail and composition

Brendan Dozier
12-22-2011, 04:15 PM
If a turkey can look beautiful, you certainly did it here, Daniel. Outstanding on all counts! :cheers:

Robert Holguin
12-23-2011, 01:04 AM
Wow!!!! Excellent close up shot. Wonderful light and background, great head angle, and superb feather detail.
I have never found these guys attractive, but after viewing your pics I view them differently.
Well done.