PDA

View Full Version : Photoshop Elements 10

Simon Wantling
12-21-2011, 03:06 AM
Hi, I currently work in lightroom 3 and need some additional software to carry out some post sharpening ( USM ) spot healing etc. I'm looking at photoshop elements 10 as it's a much better price compared to CS5. As I won't use the bulk of the features in CS5 do you think elements will be sufficient. Does anyone here have any experience with using Elements?

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Simon

John Goldman
12-21-2011, 08:39 AM
I cannot say that Elements 10 will be sufficient for you. I can say I have Elements 10, use it and have not wished I had the full Photoshop CS5. Elements 10 has enough capability to satisfy me.

Declan Troy
12-21-2011, 09:22 AM
There are certainly occasions to do part of one's processing in photoshop but the operations you mentioned (spot healing, sharpening) are part of Lightroom functionality so you may not need the added complexity of an additional application in your workflow.

Roger Clark
12-21-2011, 09:58 AM
Simon,

To keep all the info in one's images (e.g. dynamic range and tonality) from large sensor cameras like DSLRs requires 16-bit (or better) editing. Photoshop elements, unless it has changed, does not do 16-bit editing. Please correct me if I am wrong as I do not have elements 10.

Roger

Dave Curtis
12-23-2011, 02:41 PM
Simon,

To keep all the info in one's images (e.g. dynamic range and tonality) from large sensor cameras like DSLRs requires 16-bit (or better) editing. Photoshop elements, unless it has changed, does not do 16-bit editing. Please correct me if I am wrong as I do not have elements 10.

Roger

Well with Elements 7 some functionality works with 16-bit but some only with 8-bit - most of the changes to levels are at 16-bit but some of the tools eg stamp only work once the image is converted to 8-bit.

I'm not sure of the situation with Elements 10.

Dave

Simon Wantling
12-23-2011, 03:04 PM
Hi, thanks for all the replies. Well I decided to take the plunge and purchase elements 10 and I have to say I'm pretty impressed. You're right in that a lot of the adjustment tools only work in 8 bit format but there are some work arounds to allow 16 bit editing. It's all a balance of cost and full CS5 wasn't justifiable especially while I'm working on the wife to buy me a 500mm lens. I wouldn't want to push my luck. !!

Simon