PDA

View Full Version : Yellow Legs

Steven Kersting
12-20-2011, 10:43 AM
I've been away for a while. I drowned my D3 kayaking and went without a camera for a while hoping the D4 was going to be released. I finally gave up and bought a D7000 for the time being. I'm not in love with the camera, but it takes good pictures and the crop factor is nice.

Here's a recent shot taken with it.
http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=106012&d=1324395442

D7000, Sigma 300-800 f/5.6 @ 550mm f/7.1, ISO 400, 1/500, Spot, Dynamic C, +.3 EV, Handheld.

Ofer Levy
12-21-2011, 04:35 AM
That is terrible! Sorry to hear about the D3...:e3 As someone who often risks my gear in a kayak or just standing in chest deep water I never thought a real disaster can happen. I guess I am quite wrong...:eek3:
As to this image - shooting angle is a bit high. It looks like the focus was locked on the water on the left rather than on the bird.

Randy Stout
12-21-2011, 10:36 AM
Steven:

Sorry to hear about the D3. The good news is that the D4 is apparently going to be announced on Jan 6th. When it will be available to the public, who knows!

I agree with Ofer's points. I might consider a very slight crop from the top to more match the amount of water beneath the reflections head. I would go that tight, but just a bit.

Cheers

Randy

Steven Kersting
12-21-2011, 11:02 AM
My gear is insured, so I got the money for a replacement D3 which is in an account waiting for the D4!

Thanks for the comments....
The angle was higher for the reflection. I used spot focus and cropped so I don't know why the focus seems a little off....I don't generally notice a backfocus issue or anything. The ripples at the front leg look about as sharp to me?
I seem to have issues with LR's output sharpening..never knowing exactly what it will look like (normally use "for screen/ standard). I suppose if I wanted to be very critical I could send to PS and sharpen/save for web from there.