PDA

View Full Version : Black-fronted Dotterel

Ofer Levy
12-20-2011, 07:03 AM
1D Mark IV, Canon 800 f5.6, 1/3200, f6.3, iso 640, HH

Last one in this series. Hope to get some more dynamic poses soon.

About 55% of full frame

Cheryl Arena Molennor
12-20-2011, 08:58 AM
Nice pose and good looking bird. I like the blues in the water. I personally feel it's just a little oversaturated (sorry) and i see noise in the bg?

Bill Dix
12-20-2011, 09:30 AM
Lovely light on a lovely bird. BG color compliments the bird nicely. I agree with Cheryl's observations about saturation, and a little more NR on the BG; and a slight head turn would have made a nice shot even better.

Norm Dulak
12-20-2011, 11:53 AM
Good pose, composition, sharpness and exposure. But I agree with the comments made above re noise and saturation.

I also don't think the partial leg reflection adds much to the image. My suggestion would be to remove the reflected leg parts by cloning or re-cropping.

Stu Bowie
12-20-2011, 12:46 PM
Another fine image of this species Ofer. Once again, tack sharp with lovely colours, and I like your low angle of capture. That BG is so sweeeet. :w3

Ofer Levy
12-20-2011, 05:01 PM
Nice pose and good looking bird. I like the blues in the water. I personally feel it's just a little oversaturated (sorry) and i see noise in the bg?
Thanks for your comments guys.
Cheryl, I don't assume you have seen this bird so not sure how you can comment on the colours being oversaturated. I agree I should have applied some more NR on BG though.:w3

Jonathan Ashton
12-20-2011, 05:20 PM
Its a cracker of a shot. I don't think the bird is over exposed but I wonder what it would look like with the highlights lowered just a bit, also maybe consider brightening the background a tad - what do you think??

Ofer Levy
12-20-2011, 05:26 PM
Its a cracker of a shot. I don't think the bird is over exposed but I wonder what it would look like with the highlights lowered just a bit, also maybe consider brightening the background a tad - what do you think??
Thanks Jonathan, the comments were regarding the image being oversaturated not overexposed...:w3
This image was taken minutes before sunset so light was very warm and soft. I try to avoid selective manipulation of the BG unless really necessary which I don't feel is the case in here.

Kaustubh Deshpande
12-20-2011, 05:31 PM
Ofer, like it as presented. light is great. Low angle, ofcourse I love it. details, placement of the bird...superb IMO.

Ofer Levy
12-20-2011, 05:37 PM
Good pose, composition, sharpness and exposure. But I agree with the comments made above re noise and saturation.

I also don't think the partial leg reflection adds much to the image. My suggestion would be to remove the reflected leg parts by cloning or re-cropping.
Thanks for your comment. I usually prefer not to clone reflections unless it is absolutely necessary - which I don't feel is the case in here.:w3

Karl Egressy
12-20-2011, 06:45 PM
I missed the previous ones but this one looks great, Ofer.
I agree with you on the oversaturation issue.
How would we know when we have never seen this species.
Some of the birds form Australia, South America and Africa are so much more colourful than the birds here.

Jim Crosswell
12-20-2011, 07:47 PM
Excellent image Ofer! I like the sharpness, low angle and exposure.

Cheryl Arena Molennor
12-20-2011, 09:56 PM
Thanks for your comments guys.
Cheryl, I don't assume you have seen this bird so not sure how you can comment on the colours being oversaturated. I agree I should have applied some more NR on BG though.:w3

Wow Ofer, I was hoping not to step on your toes but that response sounds like maybe I did. Sorry for that. I was not refferring to the bird only I was referring to the image as a whole. I feel the colors are very strong and look a little over saturated to me. I was merely making my own observation. I respect you as an artist and admire your talents but that comment has made me leary of expressing my honest critique from here out.

Ofer Levy
12-20-2011, 10:18 PM
Wow Ofer, I was hoping not to step on your toes but that response sounds like maybe I did. Sorry for that. I was not refferring to the bird only I was referring to the image as a whole. I feel the colors are very strong and look a little over saturated to me. I was merely making my own observation. I respect you as an artist and admire your talents but that comment has made me leary of expressing my honest critique from here out.
Hi Cheryl, you were not stepping on my toes and I welcome and appreciate your honest input. You know my critique can be brutally honest sometimes...:bg3:
However, in this case I just think (like others who commented in here) that you are wrong which is fine. We don't have to agree all the time - life would be way too boring....:w3

BTW - not only that I haven't boosted saturation - I also used some cooling filter as light and colours were too warm for my taste.

arash_hazeghi
12-21-2011, 01:25 AM
very nice low angle and details. light was perfect too. well done

Robert Holguin
12-21-2011, 04:31 AM
Wonderful shot. Great shooting angle, beautiful looking bird, excellent light, and composed reall well.
Well done.

Jonathan Ashton
12-21-2011, 04:46 AM
Thanks Jonathan, the comments were regarding the image being oversaturated not overexposed...:w3
This image was taken minutes before sunset so light was very warm and soft. I try to avoid selective manipulation of the BG unless really necessary which I don't feel is the case in here.

Ofer my comments were regarding brightness and the contrast between the subject and the background, I was not concerned about saturation as I have not seen the bird, having said that the colours do appear pretty vivid, but you say these are natural so that is ok.

Cheryl Arena Molennor
12-21-2011, 07:57 AM
Hi Cheryl, you were not stepping on my toes and I welcome and appreciate your honest input. You know my critique can be brutally honest sometimes...:bg3:
However, in this case I just think (like others who commented in here) that you are wrong which is fine. We don't have to agree all the time - life would be way too boring....:w3

BTW - not only that I haven't boosted saturation - I also used some cooling filter as light and colours were too warm for my taste.

No problem Ofer. I gues it was just the way you put it at first. Of course we all have our own opinions on what is good and it's just a matter of taste.

Rod Warnock
12-22-2011, 12:48 PM
Love the warm late light, Ofer !! This species is a great favourite of mine and you have nailed it here. Background very supportive as are the elements across the standing zone.
TKS
Best regards
Rod Warnock

Simon Bennett
01-24-2012, 04:26 AM
Wonderful light, sharp and I like the seamless setting too.