PDA

View Full Version : Sunrise at the Totem Pole

Roman Kurywczak
04-07-2008, 09:18 AM
Take with the EOS 3 on E100VS film. This was a few minutes after sunrise. I positioned myself so the lower left bush would be in the shadow area. I also minimized the sky as it was very uninteresting. If only I had clouds that day...........
Comments welcomed and appreciated,
Roman

Robert Amoruso
04-07-2008, 01:02 PM
I have been thinking about this one for awhile. I think that my recommendation, if I wanted to change the arrangement of elements, would not have resulted in a good image due to the dark shadow on the left that is out of the frame. but I would have liked to see more room between the left edge and the bush. Also walk left to get more separation between the bush and totem pole to allow the bush to better balance the pole. It is this walking left I believe would have caused the composition to show more of the deep shadow on the right.

Would that recommendation yield a better image? I do not know.Other than wanting that bush a bit further from the left edge I am happy with the image overall and I like the BG relationships. The diagonal shadow in the front and the texture in the sand is great. A good looking image.

If you feel I am rambling consider that I am trying to explain my thought process as I looked at the image and how I first felt about it and then how my attitude changed as I wrote about it.

Roman Kurywczak
04-07-2008, 03:19 PM
Hi Robert,
I get there too........do realize that these are from my website posts (not PS files) that I found on some burried CD........there is a good deal of room from the edge of the bush...... but my border choice is blocking some of it. My Nikon scanner is going in for repair #3........or I'm taking it apart and doing it myself. You are pretyy correct in your overall assesment though.and do know......I have every concievable angle of this shot including close up without the bush............bleeping ?*%!*?%! scanner,
Roman

David Kennedy
04-07-2008, 08:17 PM
When you do get the scanner working again, be sure to set your white and black points. I can see a "fake" grey in the shadow of the Totem Pole. (The scanner invented that color--the shadow should clearly be black or a little lighter if it has some detail.)