PDA

View Full Version : Adult Male Wild Turkey.

Daniel Cadieux
12-19-2011, 08:47 PM
After being extensively hunted with numbers dramatically reduced (including completely in some areas) the Wild Turkey has been re-introduced in some of its former range and has been especially successful re-establishing itself in Eastern Ontario. Flocks and individual sightings of these are now rather common in Ottawa and surroundings. A flock of 15-20 birds has taken residence at a local trail area and has been delighting photographers and curious passerbys (especially families with young kids) with their approachable ways...they've learned that humans = food handouts. It is at times difficult to isolate one individual for photos...a nice problem to have considering these guys were completely absent from this area not too long ago!!

Canon 7D + 100-400L @400mm, aperture priority, evaluative metering, 1/640s., f/6.3, ISO 400, no EC, natural light, handheld, FF.

Cheryl Arena Molennor
12-19-2011, 09:31 PM
Daniel that is gorgeous if that is at all possible. Love the light and detail.

dankearl
12-19-2011, 09:32 PM
Just a beautiful portrait, Daniel.
A really cool subject, the throat feathers are awesome and great light.
One of your best, IMO.

Randy Stout
12-19-2011, 09:50 PM
Daniel:

Colors, texture, sharpness, exposure, BG, all fine.

I would consider a tiny sliver more on the left, and a equally small sliver off the top.

We have a lot of wild turkeys in Michigan, but they are not tame in my area, can occ. get a shot from a car, but not easy.

Cheers

Randy

Fred Canter
12-19-2011, 11:09 PM
Beautiful wild turkey, everything looks great. Being a male I would have liked to have seen the beard included though.

Stu Bowie
12-20-2011, 01:07 AM
Dan, super pose, and I like the curve of the neck. Lovely colours throughout, sharp, and so much detail to look at. Interesting shape above the beak - what is it?

gail bisson
12-20-2011, 05:44 AM
This portrait is terrific. I love the ruffled feathers and the orange and light green in them. The BG looks painted. Nice light. No nits from me. What is the little horn on the top of the head called?
Gail

RakeshDhareshwar
12-20-2011, 05:56 AM
Love the details , the compo and the light !!

Bill Dix
12-20-2011, 09:44 AM
Great detail, beautiful light and BG. I second Randy's crop suggestions, and I, too, am curious about the horn.

Doug Brown
12-20-2011, 10:29 AM
<embed id="application/x-exifeverywhere" type="application/x-exifeverywhere" width="0" height="0">Beautiful profile shot; excellent detail and a smooth, complimentary BG.

Steven Kersting
12-20-2011, 10:51 AM
Excellent shot. I would actually suggest cropping just from the bottom placing the eye at the upper 1/3 line. IMO the body feathers don't add much to the image and have a lot of "weight".

Karl Egressy
12-20-2011, 03:50 PM
Reintroducing the Wild Turkey in Ontario is a great success story.
In the seventies they brought in less than 200 Wild Turkeys from United States. Today the number is over 1.5 million, despite hunting.
Great, very sharp and very detailed portrait shot, Daniel.
I always admired your pictures in many ways and impressed by the sharpness.
The lens you use doesn't have the best reputation in terms of sharpness.
However, based on your work it is an amazing lens.
Exceptionally good copy or great shooter behind, or both?:S3:

Jonathan Ashton
12-20-2011, 05:17 PM
A very much overused adjective - but that is awesome - well done!! I love the light and the detail set off against an ideal background.

Kaustubh Deshpande
12-20-2011, 06:20 PM
Daniel, excellent portrait. details, DOF, exposure, BG....has it all. well done.

Jim Crosswell
12-20-2011, 08:20 PM
Excellent image Daniel! I like the details, sharpness, BG and composition.

Sandesh R.Dhareshwar
12-21-2011, 04:35 AM
Brilliant image and details

Daniel Cadieux
12-21-2011, 10:35 AM
This portrait is terrific. I love the ruffled feathers and the orange and light green in them. The BG looks painted. Nice light. No nits from me. What is the little horn on the top of the head called?
Gail

Thanks everyone!!

Gail, this is called the "snood". In breeding season, or when the tom is exceited and displaying, the snood becomes engorged with blood and swells to many times this size...often hanging down to below the bill...