PDA

View Full Version : Geetings with Costas Hummingbird

Gus Hallgren
12-19-2011, 03:22 PM
Hi Folks;
First of all the Costas photo I used was taken by Gina with her first Olympus Ultra Zoom 10x point & shoot. Wish they still sold that little camera as it was pocket size with an eye piece viewer. Gina took the third version of the same camera to Africa with her to Africa in 2004 and the photos on Webshots is still getting 60 hits per week, was 3000/wk. in 2004.
How I created this>opened CS5>New>1024x800 px 72 resolution white BG>OK>using color picker I selected FG a light blue ,BG a dark blue. Then Filter>render>clouds>Saved
File>open>Costas Humming bird. OpenBG in Workplace>Click Move icon>Move Costas on top of BG>Using BG eraser 40% opacity I went around outline of cardinal erasing Cardinal photo BG to reveal finished BG> used eraser to finish revealing all of the finished BG>Flatten>saved.
Press Ctrl+J for duplicate layer
With dup selected: Edit>Fill>Black>OK
Click Filter>Noise>Add Noise>Select Gaussin & Monochromatic>60>OK (For a mixed very light BG up to 150)
Click Filter>Blur>More Blur
Click Image>Adjustments>Levels>White marker left to start of Histogram 90>Black marker right close to white marker 100, you will notice noise lessens as you move black marker right.
Change Blend from Normal to Screen. You will see snow on the card now.
Click Select>Select All>Edit>Stroke>10 px>Color white>Blending Normal>Opacity 30%>OK
I used Font GLOWING AWAY for “Happy Holiday “
As with all tutorials your own judgment is important. The Snow creation came from Photoshop NAAP and slightly modified in amount of noise & levels adjustment.
I liked the fact the presentation was completely done in CS5

Comments always welcome & appreciated

Keep smiling :S3:

Gus `n Gina

denise ippolito
12-19-2011, 04:40 PM
Gus and Gina, Happy Holidays and a joyous New Year to you both and also to Gina's sister. Love the card, the snow and the font!

Steve Adkins
12-19-2011, 09:24 PM
Beautiful, Gus! Happy holidays to you and yours... :S3:

Brendan Dozier
12-19-2011, 09:27 PM
Happy Holidays, Gus! Great looking card!

Jay Sheinfield
12-20-2011, 10:29 AM
Great card......hot purple looks super. Happy Holidays..................

Gus Hallgren
12-20-2011, 02:22 PM
Hi Folks;

On second look, I prefer this one

Gus

Hard to see, but Costas is surrounded by about 1" of white . . .

Gus Hallgren
12-20-2011, 02:34 PM
Added dark edge to show card only . .Maybe it's just my eyes?

Gus

denise ippolito
12-21-2011, 08:30 AM
Awesome redo Gus! I like it even better than the OP.!!!

Cheryl Slechta
12-25-2011, 06:08 PM
Gus, I like the repost the best. Happy Holidays to you and Gina:S3: