PDA

View Full Version : Critique Request: Walk On By

Julie Kenward
12-18-2011, 05:31 PM
I've decided to commit to polishing my skills with black and white photography during 2012 so get ready - you're going to be seeing quite a bit of it over the next year!

Yesterday morning I headed down to the Country Club Plaza - world renown for its holiday lights and shopping. I went during the day to escape the crowds and try my hand at some street photography and came up with this.

Any feedback you can give me on my choice of black and white processing (do you like it? Too contrasty?) and the comp in general would sure be helpful. Also, do you think the words "Plaza Parking" need to be a darker tone? Would you clone out the wording "exit" and "caution: max height" or should I leave those in?

Christopher Miller
12-18-2011, 05:52 PM
I like it, Jules. The silhouette of the person walking by is what really makes the shot work for me. The B&W processing looks good. I might crop a little off the top, and I think the words "Plaza Parking" should be a bit darker. The words "Exit" and "Caution: Max Height" don't bother me, so I would leave them. Looking forward to seeing more B&W images from you!

Julie Kenward
12-18-2011, 06:39 PM
Thanks Christopher...I like your idea of slicing a little off the top! I'll see if I can't get those letters a little darker, too; they were almost totally faded and I pumped them up a bit using a curves adjustment but I might have to go in and paint them in a little darker.

Hazel Grant
12-18-2011, 11:10 PM
A good selection for a study in sharp contrasts of BW. Agree that the Plaza Parking could be darker. I would wish that that large shadow on the left side of the door weren't there so that the total opening would be very sharp. Exit signs, etc are part of the structure and should stay. Looking forward to more BW from you.

Don Railton
12-18-2011, 11:27 PM
Hi Julie

I agree with a little off the top and could not even find "plaza parking" for a few seconds... but I am not sure the words do much either way for the image so I am not fussed about their colour tones. I do wish however that the shadow cast by the person walking was complete and that they were in front of the white wall so their profile was also complete and not melting into the void of the entrance. Contrast looks good to me...

Thanks

DON

Julie Kenward
12-19-2011, 08:06 AM
Hazel and Don, you make great points. I also wish that shadow hadn't been there but it was a quick "grab" shot and I wanted to get the woman next to the white trim of the garage and didn't even notice the shadow on the wall until pp. I do appreciate the comments, though!

James Shadle
12-22-2011, 08:15 AM
Jules,
I like it.
A little bit off the top please and darken "Plaza Parking".

The Exit and Max Height are interesting elements in this image and I would leave them.
I also like the position of your pedestrian relative to the exit sign.
She is exiting the frame close to the exit sign.

This image has a very calm but solitary feeling. .

Julie Kenward
12-22-2011, 10:16 AM
Great comments! Thanks so much. I'll go back and make the changes. :w3