PDA

View Full Version : Undercover

Julie Kenward
04-07-2008, 08:43 AM
This weekend my feeders were all lit up with male goldfinches - all dead center in the middle of changing to their bright yellow spring coats. It took me a while to realize the females were around, too - just off in the background a bit, still blending in with their surroundings.

This was taken from my back deck with a Canon 40D, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM.

F6 @ 1/320
ISO 100
AWB / natural light
Handheld
Evaluative Metering

Gail Spitler
04-07-2008, 10:37 AM
Hi Julie
The subtlety of this transitional plumage is wonderful. Sharp image, overall brown tone is quite nice. I wonder if a tighter crop on the bird would help make the bird step out from its surroundings more.
Cheers
Gail Spitler

Alfred Forns
04-07-2008, 05:12 PM
Hi Julie I would try setting up a perch for the birds They will come to the feeder so you have a some control !!!!

The re-post by Gail is a big improvement Imagine the same with a clean bg !!!! You made a good exposure and the bird is sharp ... even took notice of the head angle !!!! Looking forward to the next one !!!

Oscar Zangroniz
04-07-2008, 07:57 PM
Hi Julie, great exposure and composition. Agree with Al on the bg.
Congrats.

Gus Cobos
04-08-2008, 07:45 AM
Hi Julie,
Love the repost better.
Your background was too busy...:D

Julie Kenward
04-08-2008, 09:16 AM
Thanks everyone! I've been accused of cropping too close by other photographers - now it seems I'm bouncing the other direction! Thanks for the advice and yes, setting up a perch this spring should be a big improvement on the busy backgrounds. Thanks for that suggestion.

Harold Davis
04-08-2008, 03:49 PM
hi julie, great exposure on the beautiful bird. agree about the perch. cant wait to see what you come up with.