PDA

View Full Version : Blue Tit

Simon Wantling
12-18-2011, 12:23 PM
Photographed this today in very cold weather with poor light. Comments would be very welcomed:

Canon 7D, 100-400mm at 400mm, ISO1250, f/6.1, 1/320ss evaluative metering.

Post processed in lightroom 3 with some sharpening and noise reduction, etc.

http://www.back-garden-moths.co.uk/7D/Blue Tit.jpg

Steve Kaluski
12-18-2011, 12:42 PM
Hi Simon, these are great little characters and are having a busy time at present, feeding vigorously out in the hedgerow and garden feeders, stocking up for winter.

I like the side profile and there is some nice detail in the wing and plumage, but I might just add a bit more in Curves to give the bird a bit more 'pop'. I would also drop the blue coming through on the log using an adjustment mask so you only apply it to the areas required. Personally I would like to see more room in front of the bird for it to look into, basically if you could flipped the bird only, that then would give you the right space left & right IMHO. I would also lose the red (flower/berry?) in the BKG as it is a little distracting. Hope this helps.

Not sure where you were shooting this afternoon, but he light from 2-3.30pm this afternoon in Yorkshire was glorious. :w3

TFS
Steve

Simon Wantling
12-18-2011, 02:14 PM
Thanks Steve for the reply and advice. Yes, agree with your comments. I've posted a tweaked photo for comments if thats ok.

http://www.back-garden-moths.co.uk/7D/Blue Tit 2.jpg

Steve Kaluski
12-18-2011, 02:27 PM
I think that is much better, but more to the point, WDYT? :S3:

I might if you have the time now just soften the curve, probably of a branch that kind of echoes the back of the bird and the darker area by your © wording.

Steve

Simon Wantling
12-18-2011, 02:44 PM
Thanks Steve, I think it looks a lot better. I still need to learn to take more time processing my images and look for the fine details you have mentioned. Thanks again.

Sid Garige
12-18-2011, 02:57 PM
Excellent suggestions by Steve Simon. Reports takes it to next level.

Steve Kaluski
12-18-2011, 03:10 PM
Hi Simon, if this is what you like to photograph you are in safe hands here on the Avian Forum with people who shoot birds more than I do and have greater experience in all areas and can help you develop your passion, but you are most welcome. Take some time to look through the other parts of the Forum, as there are some great nuggets of info peppered around. You might also like to take a look at this area too, good luck.

http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/forumdisplay.php/30-Tutorials-and-Educational-Resources

BTW never worry about asking on here. :w3

Thanks Sid. :wave:

Arthur Morris
12-18-2011, 03:43 PM
I rather liked the interesting out of the box COMP with the ORIG post but obviously the repost looks better with the increased contrast. As presented the repost could benefit from some Eye Doctor work and some background smoothing with a 40% hardness Clone Stamp Tool to eliminate the large, o-o-f branches. Did you have the whole red flower in the original capture? I liked that.

BTW, welcome to Avian.

Dave Leroy
12-18-2011, 05:01 PM
Nicely done Simon. Sharp and lots of fine detail and at a high ISO for the 7D. I like the interesting perch. Lots of good suggestions by Steve.