PDA

View Full Version : calla lily in B & W # 2

Gary Hamilton
12-18-2011, 10:08 AM
This is an entirely different image of the same calla lily that I had previously posted but with better lighting, a different treatment and, hopefully, better results. Background converted to white for this one. Here goes...

Canon 7D
Canon 100mm f/2.8 macro
ISO 200
f/14
1/250 sec. - flash in high speed synch mode

all c/c welcome

Julie Kenward
12-18-2011, 11:26 AM
Gary, I think this is MUCH improved! The processing, lighting and even the composition have all been taken up a couple of notches!

Two little things I noticed - you might try selectively sharpening the top of the flower a bit more as it's a tiny bit soft on my monitor and you might try using the dodge tool in PS to bring out a little more of the detail on the inside area of the top of the flower.

Otherwise, I think you got a much better tonal range this time and the composition with the stem is much stronger - the image looks much more balanced!

(If you end up really liking black and white photography you might download Nik's Silver Efex software and giving it a try. I love it - it really helps me see all the possibilities that the image has with a quick look at their presets and then you can tweak away!)

Gary Hamilton
12-18-2011, 03:42 PM
Re-post using Julie's suggestions. I lightened the inside of the lily with the dodge tool for a little more detail. The back edge of the lily at the top was sharpened a bit using "sharpen edges." It looks better but still a bit soft. Selective sharpening did not seem to help. Thanks for your help Jules.

I'll download Nik Silver Efex and start playing around with it.

Julie Kenward
12-18-2011, 04:05 PM
I like it! You're right...the edge is still a touch soft but there's not much you can do if selective sharpening didn't help. You just need to watch that for next time and make sure your DOF is stopped down enough or ensure that the tip is completely parallel to the camera sensor. (It's always something!) I do like the inside of the lily much better - it softened it and brought out more detail.

Dave Leroy
12-19-2011, 10:26 AM
Of the two looks at the lily I also prefer this one. I like the composition with the inclusion of the stem. I can also see what Jules is suggesting about lightening the iinside of the lily but prefer the darker tones of this original post otherwise. Also a very nice idea about being as parallel as possible.
The only thing I might add is a thin black border to set everything off.

Very nice and looking forward to more b/w.

Steve Maxson
12-21-2011, 12:27 PM
Hi Gary. I like the vertical comp and the slight diagonal of the stem. The light background also works well. Good sharpness within your DOF, though I would wish that the pointed tip was also sharp. Once again, Jules has some good suggestions for you to consider and I agree with Dave that a thin black border would add a nice touch. Well done!

Ken Childs
12-23-2011, 12:41 PM
Hi Gary, I definitely prefer this version over the fist post of this flower. The taller comp and the lighter tones look much better. A little more DOF and you'd have a real winner here. :S3: