PDA

View Full Version : Kestrel - Regurgitating gravel

girisholeti
12-18-2011, 02:07 AM
This Kestrel swallowed gravel, preened for 10-15 minutes and then started Regurgitating.
Made on the outskirts of Bangalore, India.
Canon 7D, Canon 500mm f4, ISO 200, f/8.0, 1/500 Sec

Ken Watkins
12-18-2011, 03:00 AM
Girisholeti,

What an interesting moment to capture, great detail and sharpness, I woder if it might be worth trying some selective lightening on the eye?

Pity about the perch, but I can ignore it:bg3:

girisholeti
12-18-2011, 03:31 AM
Ken, tried to bring out some details in the eye. Let me know if it works.

Ken Watkins
12-18-2011, 03:39 AM
Girissholeti,

It most certainly does:cheers::cheers:

Ofer Levy
12-18-2011, 07:59 AM
Very interesting behaviour beautifully captured. I am not sure about the swallowing gravel theory. Looks like seeds of some sort to me. I don't like the eye in the repost as Kestrel's eye is dark. A tiny catchlight does the trick better IMHO...:w3

Melissa Groo
12-18-2011, 08:07 AM
Ofer's repost does look more natural in regards to the eye. Great job capturing this fascinating moment. Wonderful IQ, B, and perch.

gail bisson
12-18-2011, 08:23 AM
Very interesting behavior shot. Good IQ and I like Ofer's repost. I can't say that I would hang this is the dining room though!!:tinysmile_shy_t:Perhaps the bathroom...?
Gail

Joe Senzatimore
12-18-2011, 08:27 AM
Fantastic Detail in this capture. Great behavior to see and photograph. Love the original post the best. Were you this close , or did you crop this for posting? Just a stunning image.

girisholeti
12-18-2011, 08:29 AM
Ofer, That is gravel indeed. I have photos of it picking up gravel. It allowed me photos while picking gravel, then it went and sat on an ant hill and preened for about 10 mins. There also it allowed me some interesting full frame shots. Then it went to this tree and started regurgitated.
Few bird behavior experts here in India explained me that "A bird swallows small bits of gravel that act as 'teeth' in the gizzard, breaking down hard food such as seeds and thus helping digestion.These stones are called gizzard stones or gastroliths and are usually round and smooth from the polishing action in the animal's stomach. When too smooth to do their required work, they may be passed or regurgitated."

Ofer Levy
12-18-2011, 08:48 AM
Ofer, That is gravel indeed. I have photos of it picking up gravel. It allowed me photos while picking gravel, then it went and sat on an ant hill and preened for about 10 mins. There also it allowed me some interesting full frame shots. Then it went to this tree and started regurgitated.
Few bird behavior experts here in India explained me that "A bird swallows small bits of gravel that act as 'teeth' in the gizzard, breaking down hard food such as seeds and thus helping digestion.These stones are called gizzard stones or gastroliths and are usually round and smooth from the polishing action in the animal's stomach. When too smooth to do their required work, they may be passed or regurgitated."
I know some birds do swallow stones but Kestrels eat other animals - insects, lizards, small mammals ect - why would they need gravel to digest that....?:2eyes2:
maybe this Kestrel thinks she is an Ostrich....:bg3:
Some input from a BPN ornithologist would be great.

Kiran Poonacha
12-18-2011, 12:22 PM
Nice moment captured here sapta.. Ofers repost work well..:cheers:

Steve Kaluski
12-18-2011, 12:25 PM
Firstly, a cracking image Girisholeti, fantastic detail, great timing. The BKG is perfect and helps separate/define the subject well. Ofers hint of catchlight works extremely well, and just gives that natural look to the eye and takes the image to the next level, and really compliments this beautiful image.

Ofer, although not a hunting bird, we use/put out grit for the Grouse in tubs for them to peck at, as it helps them break up their food, so it does, 'kind of echo', what Girisholeti has mentioned, but agree, have not seen this behaviour so it's a nice insight. :w3

TFS
Steve

Arthur Morris
12-18-2011, 03:50 PM
I have no doubt that the bird swallowed gravel, lot of them do that but is surely does not look a lot like gravel in the image.... Possibly gravel combined with partially digested stomach contents. Seeds are as unlikely as gravel :). Love the image and both reposts improve it. Only bummer for me is that the head is rotated slightly away from us. Sharp with a nice image design. Bummer about the sawed off branch.

Tom Rambaut
12-18-2011, 04:42 PM
I can confirm that the gravel thing is indeed correct. I spend a number of years working in Bird of prey centres in the UK and falcons in particular will take small round stones and swallow them - commonly called Rangle. I have provided a link here.

http://elibrary.unm.edu/sora/jrr/v010n02/p00061-p00064.pdf

not sure if it links but you can copy and past.

Dave Leroy
12-18-2011, 05:24 PM
Great job on the photo and very interesting behaviour captured as well as an interesting discussion. I also could go with either repost.

Ofer Levy
12-18-2011, 06:42 PM
I can confirm that the gravel thing is indeed correct. I spend a number of years working in Bird of prey centres in the UK and falcons in particular will take small round stones and swallow them - commonly called Rangle. I have provided a link here.

http://elibrary.unm.edu/sora/jrr/v010n02/p00061-p00064.pdf

not sure if it links but you can copy and past.
Thanks Tom for the interesting information!:w3

arash_hazeghi
12-18-2011, 08:58 PM
excellent image and story, One of the most impressive scenes I have seen (but unfortunately not photographed!) was an American Kestrel catch a humming bird in flight and then eat it!

great work

MohsenVahedipour
12-19-2011, 01:49 AM
Another vote for Ofer's repost.

Saptagirish,

Like the Very nice moment that you've captured.
Great IQ & BG.

TFS

Cheryl Arena Molennor
12-19-2011, 05:50 AM
Wow, pretty interesting and you froze the moment well. I would like an eye in between your repost and Ofer's