PDA

View Full Version : Letting Lazy Lions Lie

Morkel Erasmus
12-17-2011, 05:26 PM
I posted this one a year or 2 ago in "Wildlife"...but dug it up and entered it into our local camera club under "Landscapes" the other night. Thought I'd post it here in "Landscapes" and get a 'scaper viewpoint as opposed to a wildlife viewpoint :t3.

Lions do love to sleep, and as we found this large male in the Madikwe Game Reserve shortly after sunrise I thought I would use him as a "foreground anchor".

Curious to have your thoughts...

Techs:
Canon 7D with 10-22mm USM @ 10mm
f8.0 @ 1/100 SS @ ISO-100

Craig Kerr
12-18-2011, 06:34 AM
Thank goodness the lion is sleeping, thought for a moment it may be permanently sleeping :w3
Can't say it works as a landscape image for me - :e3

Dave Leroy
12-18-2011, 07:00 PM
Wow at 10mm that is close. I like the wide angle look. I don't post in landscape, but I think even though lion is a strong center of attention photo could go either way.

Robert Amoruso
12-19-2011, 10:08 AM
The sky is pleasing Morkel but none of the elements (larger tree, lion, smaller tree) are lining up in a pleasing, balanced way.

To me the better image is a vertical with the lion and tree diagonally juxtaposed. Then it really is not longer a landscape, is it.

Norm Dulak
12-22-2011, 10:30 AM
Thanks, Morkel, for another interesting image. While I don't think I'd regard it as a landscape, there are things to like in it. There is of course that lion, which I presume with that short lens may have been photographed from a sturdy vehicle. Or with some other source of protection close at hand. But I also like that rich blue sky with the puffy white clouds.
The repost eliminates too much of the attractive sky IMO. :cheers:

Morkel Erasmus
12-29-2011, 07:42 AM
thanks for the honest feedback, folks.
Robert - I unfortunately did not shoot in vertical format here, but the crop can work too :S3:
Norm - I was sitting on an open safari vehicle and lowered my hand a tad (using LiveView) for a lower perspective...:Whoa!: