PDA

View Full Version : Old and New Skyline

Craig Kerr
12-17-2011, 12:06 PM
Another beautiful church building in Montreal, like the contrasting skyline
Canon 50D - Sigma 10-20mm @ 10mm - F11 - ISO 640 - -0.3 Exp.

Roger Clark
12-17-2011, 12:36 PM
Craig,

While an interesting building, the leaning-over effect of the wide angle is a bit much in my opinion. That, however can be easily corrected in photoshop. Make the image a little smaller than the window it is in (the zoom level) then select the image and go to:
edit -> transform -> perspective (at least this is what I remember--I don't have photoshop running at the moment, but this should be close),
then you can grab the top (left or right) corner and stretch the image until the building lines are vertical. That would improve the image a lot (unless you like the converging lines effect).

Roger

Morkel Erasmus
12-17-2011, 03:46 PM
Hey Craig. I love the contrasting architecture here. I do get Roger's point, but I tend to like the "converging lines" effect of wide-angle lenses in most cases, even here...so in the end you have to go with what you feel works best for how you want it conveyed. Most "commercial" architecture photography is done with the aid of tilt-shift lenses if I am not mistaken...:Whoa!:

Craig Kerr
12-18-2011, 05:52 AM
Roger and Morkel thanks for your comments - Will look into your suggestion Roger, image is un-cropped at the moment.
See why the Tilt-Shift lens comes into it's own with architecture photography :S3:

Craig Kerr
12-18-2011, 06:28 AM
Have reworked using Lens Correction and Perspective and remove some distractions on the right of the image - Look any better ??

http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=105881&stc=1&d=1324207563

Roger Clark
12-18-2011, 04:41 PM
Craig,

Here is a perspective correction. I had to do a small clockwise rotation first before the perspective correction worked properly. To me it makes the building more interesting.

Roger

Roger Clark
12-18-2011, 04:42 PM
One other thing, the saturated white sky would be better IMO if fixed during raw conversion. Its brightness overwhelms the top of the image.

Roger

Don Railton
12-18-2011, 07:08 PM
Hi Guys

I am bit late to the party but I too think the OP suffers from excessive tilt in the buildings. I prefer the second post or Rogers post.

DON

Craig Kerr
12-18-2011, 11:59 PM
Unbelievable !! Thanks for your time Roger, I appreciate the effort. Did not believe it was possible :eek3:
Thanks for your comments Don

Robert Amoruso
12-19-2011, 10:12 AM
I would have to go with Rogers version. The OP's distortion was too great to me to be pleasing.

The sky issue really demands the use of a graduated ND filter or a two exposure blend in PS.