PDA

View Full Version : Dark-eyed Junco

Dick Collins
12-16-2011, 05:48 PM
This is my first post. I took this through an open window from my house at the feeder. The background is snow. The details are: Sony 580 - Minolta 600mm with med. ext. tube, 1/1000 - 5.6 - pattern metering - ISO200. I cropped about 20% off it, with some light post sharpening. I liked the pose and the simple composition. I'd love to get some criticism. I've been a Sony / Minolta user for quite awhile. (Finding a 600mm Minolta lens is not easy)

Daniel Cadieux
12-16-2011, 06:10 PM
Hi Dick, a belated welcome to BPN...and a warm welcome to Avian! Lovely pose and I like the comp, including the small twig at bottom. These guys van be hard to expose with a snowy background but you did well. The image looks properly focussed but it does need some more sharpening as posted to bring out the fine detail. One thing to watch out for when photographing through an open window during cold weather is heat escaping out from the house (or car) thus creating some "shimmer" in the air between the camera and subject...this can (will) lead to softness in the images.

Looking forward to more from you!!

Randy Stout
12-16-2011, 06:50 PM
Dick:

Welcome to BPN as a new member! I think you will find it a wise investment!

Good thoughts from Daniel. I could see a sliver more room on the right, since that is the direction of his gaze.

Look forward to more!

Cheers

Randy

Arthur Morris
12-16-2011, 09:34 PM
Welcome Dick and thanks a stack for your membership support. Love the image design; I am fine with the crop. The image needed a bit more contrast as well as a bit more sharpening. Used NIK Color Efex Tonal Contrast.

gail bisson
12-17-2011, 06:35 AM
Welcome Dick!
You will learn a ton here. The main issues have been addressed and Artie's repost solves them,
Gail

Melissa Groo
12-17-2011, 08:12 AM
Wonderful comp and design, really like this first post of yours. Artie's repost does it proper justice. Welcome to BPN, Dick, you'll be amazed by how much you learn here!

Robert Holguin
12-18-2011, 02:46 AM
Hello there. Real nice shot. Great pose and head angle, real nice perch with a little bit of snow. Arties repost is just superb.
Well done.