View Full Version : Half Dome and Full Moon

Gerald_Gilligan
04-07-2008, 01:51 AM
This was taken at Glacier Point in Yosemite on 11.04.2006 @ 4:54pm
Canon 10D
Lens 17-40mm /f4.0L
f/8 @1/80 sec.
ISO 100 @ 70mm RAW

I have only done minor color correcting and sharpening.
This is what it looked like that evening...
Please let me know what you think about the composition, and any other critiques...
Thank you
Jerry

Robert Amoruso
04-07-2008, 07:05 AM
Hi Gerald,

Great image. I have been waiting for something from Yosemite. I like the composition. I think the moon's placement balances the dome very well. I like the light and tone of colors in the image but wondered what opening up the shadows might look like. I downloaded it and used Shadow/Highlight adjustment in PSCS3. I also cropped off some of the sky to strengthen the image around Half Dome and the moon. The gamma correction can also be done use a Curves adjustment. The S/H caused some artifacts in the sky but using the original should not be a problem. My settings for S/H were:

Shadows, Amount = 50, Tonal Width = 17, Radius = 30
Highlight zeroed out
Correction Correction = 20 (defalut)
Mid Tone Contrast = 10 (default is zero but I always add some)

Roman Kurywczak
04-07-2008, 09:02 AM
Hi Jerry,
I like Robert's tweaks.......especially the crop:D:D:D...........as it brings the moon down into a more prominant position. I do know that you did the crop the way you originally did because of the upper cloud..........but IMO.......Robert's crop works! Overall, a very pleasing image,
Roman

Bob Ettinger
04-07-2008, 11:07 AM
The crop really makes the image standout due to the increased emphasis on the moon, it must llok great blown up on the wall.

Gerald_Gilligan
04-08-2008, 09:53 PM
Guys thanks for the encouraging words...
Robert,
I really like your fresh eye's on this one, I have been staring at this image for 2 years and didn't consider the crop and think it adds more focus to the image. I really like the way you were able to bring out the shadows, I will need to try this, as I'm not as savvy with the digital darkroom but look to this site for wisdom to find my way.
I have more Yosemite images and will post some soon...
Thanks again for a great site !
Jerry

Grady Weed
04-09-2008, 05:09 PM
You definitely have big winner here. Roberts positive suggested improvements are a huge plus in that direction. Thanks for posting this one. Hang this one on the wall.

Gus Cobos
04-15-2008, 11:52 AM
Very nice image, and repost...:D