PDA

View Full Version : Green Winged Teal

Cabby Bloss
04-06-2008, 10:32 PM
I feel like I'm venturing out into the unknown. :) This is my first post but please don't feel you have to be kind. I'm posting so I can learn. I probably should have taken the V-shaped reed out, but.......

Took this shot this morning while watching the teals "talking" with one another.
Canon 40D and 600mm with 1.4 converter.
1/1250 sec, f/8
Exp comp: -2/3
ISO: 250

Alfred Forns
04-06-2008, 10:54 PM
Big Welcome Cabby !!!!!

Sure picked a good looking duck to start !!!! One of my favorites

Lots of good things going on here You have more space up front, good exposure and sharp The v shape reed is just to your taste and can leave of remove. Would like to see a little better head angle and would crop a little different. Since the reflection is not strong why not cut it out? Out back would not mind seeing the entire ring

Processing wise you could make the duck slightly lighter but just a little It does look very good as presented !!! For these ducks you need just about magical light for the green to glow Early morning soft light usually does it !!!! Hoping to see lots more !!!

Nonda Surratt
04-08-2008, 03:10 PM
Cabby,

Lovely Teal, nice and sharp and good feather detail!

Harold Davis
04-08-2008, 03:53 PM
welcome to BPN, Cabby!!! nice first post! i love the ducks and this looks great. agree with al, a better head angle would have been good. looks like he might have been going away from you.

cant wait to see more of these guys from you!

Cabby Bloss
04-08-2008, 11:33 PM
Thank you Alfred, Nonda and Harold for you kind remarks. The head angle wasn't what I really wanted but he only had eyes for the gal he was talking to ; > and he was moving slowly from right to left. I revisited the original after Alfred mentioned completing the circle. Actaully the rest of it was behind a buch of reeds that I opted to crop out. I alos tried lightening him a bit bit my Photoshop skills are not the best and I didn't like what I came up with using curves. I really hope I can find these guys again when there is some soft morning light (and no wind) as well as the Cinammon Teals.

Again, thank you for your expertise. I appreciate the help!!

Cabby