PDA

View Full Version : Crab Spider

Dave Leroy
12-15-2011, 02:39 PM
I am slowly getting caught up on some older folders. This one is from August and I can't remember if I had an extension tube on or not. I do know the little spider was crawling up and down some stalks and it was pretty shady/dark. Taken as a vertical and I cropped from left rather than add to right.
7D, 100mm macro, 1/100, f/6.5, ISO800.

Going through the files has really made me realize I need to at least invest in reflectors and shade devises.

Julie Kenward
12-15-2011, 07:16 PM
Oh, Dave, really like this! Any idea what kind of spider this is with the purple ridge going up its back? Very interesting!

I wonder if a little shift of position wouldn't have put more of the front of the spider into focus...the 2nd leg from the front appears to be on the same plane as the front leg and yet it's OOF - must be the angle. I wonder if you had moved just a tad if you couldn't have captured all the front legs and kept a bit more DOF on the end of the plant as well.

Still...I find I really like this despite the shallower DOF.

Brendan Dozier
12-15-2011, 07:32 PM
Very cool spider, Dave, like the light, details, diagonal to reed, and the tight vertical frame works great. I see what Jules is saying regarding the DOF, but I kind of like how one leg is in and the other is OOF. Great BG, and spider placed nicely off center. Well done!

Dave Leroy
12-15-2011, 07:59 PM
The little fellow was moving around down in some longer grasses and plants so I kind of took what I could get. I checked Bug Guide and pretty sure this is a type of crab spider but...........

I'll post another topside view on Sunday to give a better look at back. My 63rd and wife is taking me away!!

Ken Childs
12-16-2011, 11:59 AM
Hey Dave, I can't tell you what it is but I can say this isn't a Crab Spider. Whatever the species, it's a cool looking one! The only real nit I can come up with has already been mentioned....the OOF second leg but I can see that getting more DOF wasn't in the cards...you'd already pushed the settings to the limit for the conditions you were dealing with. I can tell that that leg is angled towards us so I don't think a change of position would have helped in this case. I'm looking forward to your other shot of this creature.....maybe we'll be able to figure out the species if we can see more of the markings on its abdomen.

Steve Maxson
12-19-2011, 08:57 PM
Hi Dave. This is a cool looking spider and I like the tall, narrow comp as well as the diagonal of the stem. Good sharpness within your DOF. Getting all those legs sharp is always a major challenge with photos like this. :S3:

Dave Leroy
12-20-2011, 11:07 PM
Thanks Everyone.