Sensing Method = One-chip color area sensor
Exposure Mode = Auto exposure
White Balance = Auto white balance
Focal Length In 35mm Film = 157mm
Lens = nikkor 105.0 mm f/2.8 VR
Indoor setting, tripod.

Dave Leroy
12-15-2011, 02:46 PM
A very delicate looking image with lots of fine detail. Well done on the dof which perhaps tapers off a bit on the right hand side. Nice use of flash. I am not sure if I would take a bit off top to more closely match the lower right. Very well done.

Julie Kenward
12-15-2011, 07:19 PM
Adrian, for my tastes, it's a bit tight in the frame - especially at the bottom. It makes me wonder why it's so tight - were you trying to cut a distraction out or did you purposefully choose to get in this tight?

I'm also not loving the degree of flash because the whites have become so stark there where they meet the seed heads. I'd think about raising the ISO to at least 400, cutting back the aperture a bit and using that difference to give you more natural light and less use of flash. That's just my opinion, though.

Ken Childs
12-16-2011, 11:49 AM
Hi Adrian, I really like the subject...those seeds have great textures but I have to agree with Jules about it looking a bit too tight and over-flashed. I think I would have like some more space on the bottom. Did you use anything to help diffuse the flash?

Here's a quick rework using a polarizing action and a warming filter in Photoshop. If I had more time, I would have tried to darken some of those bright hairs and the brightest parts of the pod, probably by painting over them with a soft brush at a low opacity and I think I would remove the hairs in the black area near the top.

Steve Maxson
12-18-2011, 10:39 PM
Hi Adrian. This is an interesting subject and I like the texture and detail you captured in the seed heads, but like Jules and Ken, I think I would prefer a more diffused flash or, even better, soft natural light. The very bright whites and the very black shadows and background give the image too much of a "flashed" look for my tastes. If you still have the seed pod you might experiment with some different lighting methods to see if they work out better. :S3:

Adrian David
12-19-2011, 12:11 PM
Thank you for your comments and suggestions !