PDA

View Full Version : Row Houses

Jay Sheinfield
12-15-2011, 12:49 PM
Simplify and Tonal contrast is about it..............Removal of a tree almost almost centered in the frame.

Composition-wise, I wanted to fill the frame with color and shapes of the first floor doors windows, so I opted not to take a vertical which would have shown the tops of the houses, and also sky and street and what not (even standing back with a telephoto). The question is, does the image work as is or do you really want to see the tops of the townhouses? Let me know your take................Thanks. Also, I may straying more than a bit from the Nature theme of BPN. Let me know, if so. I would like to have posted this on the Landscape forum, but it too highly filtered.

Dennis Bishop
12-15-2011, 04:11 PM
You're an extraction wizard. I can see no trace, whatsoever, of the tree. I agree with your framing decision. I'd much rather enjoy all this color than see the tops of the houses, but I guess it's only fair to disclose that I have no aversion to clipping elements of a scene. A case in point is the fences. In fact, I think I might even prefer seeing only the tops of them.

You can see I played with flipping the image horizontally. There were two reasons. I like the strong diagonals formed by the windows and the space between the upper and lower ones. However, as my eyes move from left to right, the diagonals are leading them up and out of the image. One could argue that the lavender color is strong enough to keep the eyes moving toward it. However, once there, they don't want to leave and go back to the less interesting colors on the left side. With the image flipped, the diagonals point down and to the right, keeping the eyes in the image. Then, both the curves of the fences and that large lavender building pull the eyes back to the left. I really like the image both ways, but prefer it flipped.

Jay Sheinfield
12-15-2011, 04:34 PM
Hey Dennis, I think I like it better flipped! Your explanation of left to right makes sense to me..............thanks for taking the time.:S3:

Nancy Bell
12-15-2011, 05:27 PM
Dennis, very interesting and convincing explanation for the flip. My eyes agree. Jay, I love the colors and the shapes. No problem with the crop at all.

Brendan Dozier
12-15-2011, 06:44 PM
Nice composition and crop works well, Jay. Like the bold color scheme and contrast, and Dennis' flip works well.

denise ippolito
12-15-2011, 07:20 PM
I prefer the OP - sorry folks:S3:. I like the way you composed this and I probably would have done it the same way. Jay, we are allowed to stray from the nature theme so no worries. I like the multiple colors and their softer tones with the punch of red just where it is in the scene. Nicely done.

The reason I prefer the OP: I feel that if folks were walking up to the buildings the flow would be left to right which seems natural to me.

Andrew McLachlan
12-15-2011, 08:55 PM
Jay, nicely filtered and composed. The colors of the buildings are beautiful and I too prefer the OP. Nice work!

Maureen Allen
12-15-2011, 11:47 PM
I much prefer the OP. The colors are lovely, and the comp and processing work well for me. Nice, Jay :S3:

Jay Sheinfield
12-16-2011, 10:49 AM
Thanks everyone, I appreciate the feedback. The crop seems to work OK, and that helps a bunch. The OP or the flip, I flipped more than once on that one:S3:.

Denise, thanks for your view and comments on why you like the OP.:S3:

Anita Bower
12-19-2011, 06:20 AM
Wonderful colors and shapes! I like not seeing the sky or tops of the houses. I also like the ironwork, how it leads to each house, and especially how it frames the bottom of the image. I like the OP, maybe because I saw it first, but it is not a strong preference.

Jay Sheinfield
12-19-2011, 06:48 AM
Wonderful colors and shapes! I like not seeing the sky or tops of the houses. I also like the ironwork, how it leads to each house, and especially how it frames the bottom of the image. I like the OP, maybe because I saw it first, but it is not a strong preference.

Thanks Anita!