PDA

View Full Version : Green Tree Frog (Litoria caerulea) Rosebank NSW

Rod Warnock
12-15-2011, 06:40 AM
Green Tree Frog (Litoria caerulea) Rosebank NSW
Canon EOS 7D Lens 400mm L USM ISO400 F16.0 1/800 flash 8 June 2011
The Green Tree Frog has a number of alternate names Common Green Frog, White's Tree Frog,Dumpy Tree Frog,Northern Green Tree Frog and lastly the very Ocker Australian colloquial Dunny Frog because the species has a habit of appearing in toilet bowls !! The species in most Australian states except Victoria and Tasmania.
The Australian Museum site has a fact sheet at: http://australianmuseum.net.au/Green-Tree-Frog
Thanks for viewing
Best regards
Rod Warnock

Ken Watkins
12-15-2011, 06:43 AM
Rod,

What a delightful shot, love those "sticky feet":cheers::cheers:

Robert Amoruso
12-15-2011, 07:06 AM
Rod,

As is typical of flash images of reflective/wet surfaces, the frog has a lot of distracting specular highlighting. A polarizer might have helped here.

Additionally, the bright branch draws the eye due to the flash usage. I would suggest the following to tone down the highlights.

I like the pose of the frog.

Highlight selection:

1) Channels palette.
2) Ctrl key and click the RGB channel. Photoshop will now create a feathered selection around highlight pixels in the image. Photoshop has selected pixels based on how bright they are. Pure white pixels are selected 100%. Pure black pixels are not selected and pixels falling in-between those two extremes are selected based on a percentage of how close they are to white.

Blending Mode Adjustment:

1) Go back to layer palette - you will see selection.
2) Create BG copy.
3) Create mask on the BG copy from the selection.
4) Selection is grayscale shaded.
5) Change blending mode to Multiply.
6) Adjust opacity.

Go to http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=20434 to see my Image Contrast and Tonal Range Tweaks, Part 1.

Go to http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?p=161168 to see my Image Contrast and Tonal Range Tweaks, Part 2.

Look at blending modes in the first link and highlight selection in link 2 using method 2 (CTRL Key and double click on the RGB channels pallet will make same selection in current versions of PS).

Harshad Barve
12-15-2011, 08:36 AM
what a frog this is , excellent image and great advise by RA here
TFS

Rod Warnock
12-15-2011, 01:36 PM
Thanks Ken and Harshad for your kind comments. Thanks Robert also for your lucid and constructive Photoshop help which is very much appreciated as I am still on a steep learning curve. Will visit the two links ASAP.
Best regards
Rod Warnpock

Marc Mol
12-15-2011, 08:11 PM
These guys really do lend themselves for some fine images, all nits aside, well done on this Rod, just wondered why the f/16 aperture setting?
Some good tips from Robert also.:w3
TFS

Ofer Levy
12-16-2011, 06:08 AM
Fantastic image Rod!!!:cheers:

Morkel Erasmus
12-16-2011, 01:29 PM
The dark BG gives it a nice 3D look...nice IQ too, and good tips given by Robert! :bg3: