PDA

View Full Version : Frosty sandhill crane

Grace Scalzo
12-14-2011, 08:47 PM
From Bosque last week. I think the image says it all.

1/1000, f8, ISO400
Canon 1Dmk4, 500 f4 + 1.4tc + tripod

dankearl
12-14-2011, 09:19 PM
Great photo, Grace.
Sorry for the bad weather for the folks at this time of year.
A very nice shot, however, it does look cold!

Daniel Cadieux
12-14-2011, 09:31 PM
I love it!! The catchlight, dusting of snow on the back, and the inclusion of the shadow on the plumage make this image for me....great stuff!! I actually think you guys got GREAT weather (well, for photography anyhow):S3: I'd only lighten the few darker areas at top edge, but nothing major.

Melissa Groo
12-14-2011, 09:40 PM
What a beautiful image, Grace. Something really magical about this. The glittery snow, the blue shadows, the sense that the crane is huddled trying to keep warm. Is that hoar frost? Love that we can just see the red forehead. Can't wait to see your other pics from there.

Dan Busby
12-14-2011, 10:17 PM
Oh wow, that's a stunner in my books Grace. And you even caught a nice eye catch! Gorgeous light, perfect comp, magical setting.

Melissa Groo
12-15-2011, 07:11 AM
oh and the eye is open and visible! looking at this again on my desktop just now, I couldn't see that on my ipad last night! Even better.

Randy Stout
12-15-2011, 08:24 AM
Grace:

Lovely, and different form the standard Bosque image.

Agree with the above posters, the frost, tucked in pose, shadow on wing, peek a boo look, all good.

Before I read Daniel's comments, I also was going to suggest cleaning up the brown spot on the upper frame edge. The darker blue area to its left doesn't bother me, but the brown does a bit.

Very well done.

Cheers

Randy

Grace Scalzo
12-15-2011, 09:11 AM
Thanks, everyone. I hadn't even noticed the brown on the top edge, will clean that up. Yes, that was hoar frost. It covered everything. So much beauty, I just couldn't stop looking at things.
Personally, I loved the weather. Extremes seem to always offer up new and different opportunities. We were closed out of the refuge for 2 out of our 4 days there but we found other interesting places and things to photograph.....stay tuned.

Gen Benjamin
12-15-2011, 03:37 PM
Love this image Grace, I have a similiar one which I'll post. My favorite aspect of this image is the eye peeking out at you. You certainly made the most of challenging circumstances. Great to be shooting along side you
Gen

Arthur Morris
12-15-2011, 08:04 PM
Love it. The frost and the eye make it. And a nicely designed image.