PDA

View Full Version : Two More Puffins

Bill Dix
12-13-2011, 11:18 AM
Another from last June. On this one I didn't have the benefit of a good passing cloud, but I still liked the poses. These guys were taking a rest in between forays to feed the youngsters hidden in a rock crevice. Cloned out an oof rock in the bg.

D90, 80-400 @ 370, ISO 320, 1/640s @ f/8, +0.3 EV.

Kaustubh Deshpande
12-13-2011, 11:56 AM
Bill, liked this a lot. light angle wasn't ideal...but you did quite well here. the poses, exposure, HAs, perch, BG...lots of things to like here.

Don Lacy
12-13-2011, 12:06 PM
Hi Bill I think you did the best you could with the harsh light everything else is really nice from the pose to the BG.

PRABIR BHATTACHARYYA
12-13-2011, 01:27 PM
Bill, despite the harsh light, the pic has come out very nice. I kept looking at it.

Sachin Saraf
12-13-2011, 02:59 PM
I know how difficult it is to adjust yourself i those cramped hides to get the light angle correct on sunny day minus clouds and you managed to capture these two very nicely...

gail bisson
12-13-2011, 08:52 PM
I can see why you like this image and you did well in the harsh light. My only nit is that I wish the birds were not touching each other,
Gail

Daniel Cadieux
12-14-2011, 12:10 PM
Like the others mention, you did best you could considering the harsh light condition. Good comp with just enough perch showing, and nice BG. I'm OK with the birds touching...

Bill Dix
12-14-2011, 12:40 PM
Thank you all for the comments. As some of you probably know, one doesn't get a lot of choice of shooting times at Machias Seal Island. I was assigned a blind for 1 hour right at mid-day, based on fog, tide and sea conditions that dictated the island landing time. (I was lucky at that; the people with reservations the previous day couldn't land at all.) So I had to make the best of the light, which is apparently often harsh at this location. Still, a great experience to see these creatures up close and personal. I actually liked the slight tension resulting from the two birds touching in this image.

Josh Clark
12-14-2011, 12:54 PM
Love Puffins Bill, and this is a nice duo shot of them. Have a trip planned there next year with a couple good friends of mine....Machias Seal Island where I see you took these. Any advice? Lots to like about this photo, nice HA you got. Good job exposing those whites.