PDA

View Full Version : Incoming Canada Goose.

Daniel Cadieux
12-13-2011, 06:08 AM
After the Ring-billed Gulls these guys are probably the most overlooked subjects as far as bird photography goes (up here, anyways). Perhaps they are too numerous and considered a nuisance by many, and yes many times they are in the way of a clean background or spoil an approach by alerting all other birds of your presence. When a bunch of photographers are together and some of theses geese come in for a landing only a camera or two even gets raised towards them and most don't even look up...once in a while I get an image where I am happy I am one of the few that gives the Canada Geese more attention:S3:

Canon 7D + 100-400L @400mm, aperture priority, evaluative metering, 1/1600s., f/7.1, ISO 400, +1 EC, slight crop for composition, part of a metal sign cloned out at right edge.

Randy Stout
12-13-2011, 09:56 AM
Daniel:

I agree, we tend to neglect them, jus because they are common. Kind of like the mallard of the goose world.

Sharp, well exposed, good DOF, like the pose and water .

In a perfect world, I would prefer the bird to be above the green horizon line, but the transition is soft enough that I think it works well as posted, with good separation from the BG.

Cheers

Randy

Bill Dix
12-13-2011, 11:13 AM
I agree with your assessment of these birds as photography subjects. I'm one of those that usually don't bother to raise the camera; but this was an opportunity well seen and captured. Techs look good. Great incoming angle. BG is lovely, although I agree it would have been even nicer for the goose to be above the green layer.

Kaustubh Deshpande
12-13-2011, 11:58 AM
Daniel, very nice incoming pose with dangling feet. I find them deceptively difficult to expose...well done on that front. Perfect composition, IMO.

Don Lacy
12-13-2011, 12:08 PM
So you're saying that the Northern Goose gets the same respect as our Ibises get down here I would also add Coots to that list :S3:
Love the pose and water drops on the breast.

Sachin Saraf
12-13-2011, 03:21 PM
Daniel you captured this one in perfect position...excellent placement of bird in frame...I agree with KD it is really tough to expose these birds correctly..

Jim Crosswell
12-13-2011, 04:39 PM
I like the incoming pose, water drops on the goose and below the feet, sharpness, exposure and composition. Well done Daniel!

gail bisson
12-13-2011, 08:56 PM
I always love to see nice images of common birds and this one is no exception. I like the tri-layered BG and I am quite happy with the position of the goose overlying the layers. Head is completely in the blue so it is all good. Good IQ and great incoming angle as well,
Gail

dankearl
12-14-2011, 12:08 AM
Nice landing, the problem I have with them is getting one ALONE!
They are always in big numbers where I live. I like them, and yours is really nice.

Jamie Douglas
12-14-2011, 01:11 AM
Great pose and nicely exposed Daniel.

Robert Holguin
12-14-2011, 02:44 AM
Excellent shot. Love the landing pose, exposed very well, love the water drops, and composed very well.
Well done.

MohsenVahedipour
12-14-2011, 06:42 AM
Excellent pose & sweet light. Superb sharpness & details & exposed very well. Not common for me & other non-American BPNers indeed.

Cheryl Arena Molennor
12-14-2011, 10:07 AM
I really like the wing position and the great colors of the bg.